BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

first nitrous motor what rod?

3 posters

Go down

first nitrous motor what rod? Empty first nitrous motor what rod?

Post  Rickytx630 March 23rd 2019, 2:04 pm

building a new motor and switching to nitrous for the first time, car is a25.2/25.3 cert cage just being finished up, just started to piece somer parts together, plan to be around 598-632 inches, after talking to kaase he made it seem that the cranks are the same price per brand, what i have so far is a set of bare tfs A460 heads that will be set out for porting, and just got my hands on the big V intake from eliminator. i was going to pick up a set of pistons ad some rods but some people i talked to told me to stay with a steel rod and some suggested to go with the aluminum rod, what do you suggest? plan to make about 1150-1200 on motor and probably spray about 350 maybe 450,
motor will be backed by glide and run in the quarter, if i went with a 632 and the suggested rod was 6.700 what size for aluminum? will the drag on the chute hurt anything if left in gear with a steel rod? any help and info would be much appreciated

Rickytx630

Back to top Go down

first nitrous motor what rod? Empty Rod

Post  MarkJ September 26th 2019, 11:13 pm

I am using a 6.8 Oliver steel in a 598 C-head engine. About 125 to 150hp fogger. Does not show any issues.
MarkJ
MarkJ

nedceifus likes this post

Back to top Go down

first nitrous motor what rod? Empty Re: first nitrous motor what rod?

Post  mitch huested May 1st 2021, 2:54 am

Stick with a steel rod. I would suggest a 6.8 lenth, but opinions vary i'm sure. With the longer stroke I like the geometry better. Aluminum rods are thicker(and lighter) but they are life-limited, usually at the piston pin end. They also grow much more when engine is at operating temperature. This can be a problem if you are already at a zero deck position. Plan your build accordingly. I'd say good luck, but luck has very little to do with engine building, so........Good skills! Very Happy

mitch huested

nedceifus likes this post

Back to top Go down

first nitrous motor what rod? Empty Re: first nitrous motor what rod?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down