BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dana 44 strength

+6
kjett
dfree383
samiam
460bronco
Old blue Racin Team
cooter
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

dana 44 strength Empty dana 44 strength

Post  cooter May 29th 2012, 7:51 pm

how tough is a dana 44? I am running 37 inch toyos with lockers. People say the 44 holds up ok until you install a locker. Where is the weak link?

cooter

Back to top Go down

dana 44 strength Empty Re: dana 44 strength

Post  Old blue Racin Team May 30th 2012, 4:27 pm

A locked front isnt good at all... i broke axle shafts rung off the pinion and shattered the ring gear with a locked front also broke my wrist when everything let go and took my hand with it in the steering wheel
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter May 30th 2012, 5:56 pm

thanx for the reply, i will take out the locker and sell it

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  Old blue Racin Team May 30th 2012, 7:21 pm

they work well with a Open carrier though, I ran 38" TSL's on stock axle Shaft's until we Welded the spiders up in the front (stock axles from 77)
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

Post  460bronco May 30th 2012, 9:34 pm

I disagree.... I have been running a spool in my dana 44 for 4 years now. I have broke two original axles, and even a chromoly. I've been running a stock inner and outer axle since the beginning of last season with no issues. The key is..... to have all parts in good working condition (ball joints, axle joints, etc) and have the gears set-up correctly.

My application is in mud drags and dirt drags. What is your planned application?
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter May 30th 2012, 9:42 pm

i plan on a weekend warrior trail truck which i will drive on and off road

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  samiam May 30th 2012, 11:28 pm

I have been running a 44 front for 10 yrs, with a spool, I did break the shorty axle twice, with an upgrade to moser axles I havent had a problem, and hang an average of 700 + pounds over the front
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter May 30th 2012, 11:41 pm

can you elaborate about adding 700 lbs over the front please

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  samiam May 30th 2012, 11:46 pm

cooter wrote:can you elaborate about adding 700 lbs over the front please

Truck Pulls, I have a weight bar out front, add weight to get better traction up front
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 31st 2012, 3:35 am

cooter wrote:i plan on a weekend warrior trail truck which i will drive on and off road

What about an Air Locker? On when your off road, Off when your driving on the pavement or don't need it?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett May 31st 2012, 8:42 am

cooter wrote:how tough is a dana 44? I am running 37 inch toyos with lockers. People say the 44 holds up ok until you install a locker. Where is the weak link?

There is a huge difference from straight line mud drags, truck pulls, and trail riding. For the straight line mud drags, I've broken more shafts with the locked front and lost some control of the truck. When I pulled the spool out and went back to an open front, I gained all of the control back and actually got faster with less breakage. In truck pulls you are going fairly straight with little to no turning so the joints are not being stressed and in that application, it works well. For trail riding where the truck will be subjected to non straight line stresses like having to turn around rocks and such, those D44 axle shafts (chromoly or not!) will shatter like tooth pics with anything larger than a 36" tire. Application has EVERYTHING to do with what axle works best in what situration. Granted, I run a D44 in my mud truck, but I'm not turning the wheels back and forth much, so it lives a long and happy life.

As to your application, the weak link becomes the ears on the axles shafts at the knuckle when you put a locker in. And considering the cheap bronco graveyard chromoly axle shafts are $300 a side to replace, what's your budget and how often are you willing to shell that money out before you swap back to that open front if you keep the d44?
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  460bronco May 31st 2012, 10:36 am

If I were building a street/trail truck, it would atleast have a good limited slip in the front. I drive mine on the street, hunt out of it all winter, and race all summer...I do have to work around the spool and am always conscious it is there. I try not to get in situations where I bind the front up too bad from turning tight. No offense Kjett, but I'd never run an open differential...ever. haha
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett May 31st 2012, 11:26 am

460bronco wrote: No offense Kjett, but I'd never run an open differential...ever. haha

None taken. But we can line your truck up next to mine and run em. I bet you will break a front axle long before I do Wink

kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  samiam May 31st 2012, 11:35 am

kjett wrote:
cooter wrote:how tough is a dana 44? I am running 37 inch toyos with lockers. People say the 44 holds up ok until you install a locker. Where is the weak link?

There is a huge difference from straight line mud drags, truck pulls, and trail riding. For the straight line mud drags, I've broken more shafts with the locked front and lost some control of the truck. When I pulled the spool out and went back to an open front, I gained all of the control back and actually got faster with less breakage. In truck pulls you are going fairly straight with little to no turning so the joints are not being stressed and in that application, it works well. For trail riding where the truck will be subjected to non straight line stresses like having to turn around rocks and such, those D44 axle shafts (chromoly or not!) will shatter like tooth pics with anything larger than a 36" tire. Application has EVERYTHING to do with what axle works best in what situration. Granted, I run a D44 in my mud truck, but I'm not turning the wheels back and forth much, so it lives a long and happy life.

As to your application, the weak link becomes the ears on the axles shafts at the knuckle when you put a locker in. And considering the cheap bronco graveyard chromoly axle shafts are $300 a side to replace, what's your budget and how often are you willing to shell that money out before you swap back to that open front if you keep the d44?

I will have to agree, I am a straight liner...............
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  460bronco May 31st 2012, 11:42 am

Prolly so!!! I would like to see how my stock 4900lb bronco would line up against your fire breathing dragon!!! What kind of times to do you run on top of the ground in 200'? Better bring your spray and cuts though!!!
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett May 31st 2012, 11:50 am

When it's running right, around the 4 second area. This past weekend was horrible with it not running right, times were in the 20-40 second range Mad
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT May 31st 2012, 12:02 pm

Couldn't you just unlock one hub or remove one drive flange depending on the type of racing or pit? If its a deep pit unlock one side, if its a speed pit or drag lock it up.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett May 31st 2012, 12:13 pm

Unlocking just 1 side will cause the truck to pull to that side. not a good deal if your truck has any speed.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 May 31st 2012, 1:08 pm

I have to agree with Karl the locker will cause more issues in a straight line drag truck than most realize and wouldnt put one in for nothing! I have seen many truck run better after they pulled the lockers out. I had a buddy with a very fast superstock truck(back when he ran) that was convinced to install a locker when he launched the truck he couldnt keep it from heading right every time because the engine torqued the frame planting the front right tire dragging him that way after a couple passes the axle finally so no thank you and gave up.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett May 31st 2012, 1:26 pm

lghting94 wrote:I have to agree with Karl the locker will cause more issues in a straight line drag truck than most realize and wouldnt put one in for nothing! I have seen many truck run better after they pulled the lockers out. I had a buddy with a very fast superstock truck(back when he ran) that was convinced to install a locker when he launched the truck he couldnt keep it from heading right every time because the engine torqued the frame planting the front right tire dragging him that way after a couple passes the axle finally so no thank you and gave up.

Don't listen to me, I don't know nothing aobut front spools or lockers. Rolling Eyes
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 May 31st 2012, 2:54 pm

kjett wrote:
lghting94 wrote:I have to agree with Karl the locker will cause more issues in a straight line drag truck than most realize and wouldnt put one in for nothing! I have seen many truck run better after they pulled the lockers out. I had a buddy with a very fast superstock truck(back when he ran) that was convinced to install a locker when he launched the truck he couldnt keep it from heading right every time because the engine torqued the frame planting the front right tire dragging him that way after a couple passes the axle finally so no thank you and gave up.

Don't listen to me, I don't know nothing aobut front spools or lockers. Rolling Eyes

I was agreeing with you??
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett May 31st 2012, 3:48 pm

I know, it was for the others that think a spool in the front makes them faster in the mud Cool
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  mudtrucker May 31st 2012, 7:35 pm

460bronco wrote:Prolly so!!! I would like to see how my stock 4900lb bronco would line up against your fire breathing dragon!!! What kind of times to do you run on top of the ground in 200'? Better bring your spray and cuts though!!!

No offense but if karl lines up against a 4900lb truck on top of the ground my moneys on him!!!
mudtrucker
mudtrucker

Back to top Go down

Post  Old blue Racin Team May 31st 2012, 8:33 pm

and it gets real fun when you snap a axle at 5+ grand and it yanks you straight into the wall.....

and to the unlocking one side question its a PITA to steer even when just creeping around, when mine was locked id unlock 1 hub until I lined up so not to break something in the pit area and just idling in gear would drag you to the passengers side (the one i had unlocked)
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 June 1st 2012, 2:38 am

460bronco wrote:Prolly so!!! I would like to see how my stock 4900lb bronco would line up against your fire breathing dragon!!! What kind of times to do you run on top of the ground in 200'? Better bring your spray and cuts though!!!

I'm not saying a word.
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next