BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Having New Headers Built.....How Much Should I Expect To Pay

+4
bbf-falcon
yellowhorse7
dfree383
514F-1
8 posters

Go down

Having New Headers Built.....How Much Should I Expect To Pay Empty Having New Headers Built.....How Much Should I Expect To Pay

Post  514F-1 December 9th 2014, 5:42 pm

I broke a header on my truck last race, and since I have already had these old headers welded up several times, its time for a new set. I already have someone to do it, a reputable local chassis shop, so I know he isn't going to screw me, I just have to wait until he gets an opening in a couple weeks before I can take the truck down to him. I am just wondering what I should expect to pay for the job? I have Borla collector mufflers, so I won't have to buy new collectors, and that should save a little. I'm prepared to pay, $1500-$1600 for the job, but I don't want to get a case of sticker shock when he gives me the quote, so what do you think is a reasonable price based on what you have charges or have paid in the past. Before anyone asks, I don't have equipment or more importantly the skill to do it myself unfortunately...
514F-1
514F-1

Back to top Go down

Having New Headers Built.....How Much Should I Expect To Pay Empty Re: Having New Headers Built.....How Much Should I Expect To Pay

Post  dfree383 December 9th 2014, 6:01 pm

$1000-1500 is a good range for carbon steel in a chassis.

As for a SS option it might be worth you time.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Having New Headers Built.....How Much Should I Expect To Pay Empty Re: Having New Headers Built.....How Much Should I Expect To Pay

Post  yellowhorse7 December 9th 2014, 7:13 pm

514F-1 wrote:I broke a header on my truck last race, and since I have already had these old headers welded up several times, its time for a new set. I already have someone to do it, a reputable local chassis shop, so I know he isn't going to screw me, I just have to wait until he gets an opening in a couple weeks before I can take the truck down to him. I am just wondering what I should expect to pay for the job? I have Borla collector mufflers, so I won't have to buy new collectors, and that should save a little. I'm prepared to pay, $1500-$1600 for the job, but I don't want to get a case of sticker shock when he gives me the quote, so what do you think is a reasonable price based on what you have charges or have paid in the past. Before anyone asks, I don't have equipment or more importantly the skill to do it myself unfortunately...

CONTACT TROY PIREZ JR!!! You are a stones throw away from him. Great Work....
Website isn't the greatest but find him on YB or Facebook.

http://innovativeracecraft.com/
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  514F-1 December 9th 2014, 8:13 pm

dfree383 wrote:$1000-1500 is a good range for carbon steel in a chassis.

As for a SS option it might be worth you time.

Thanks, I am going to ask him about stainless and see what the price difference is.
514F-1
514F-1

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 9th 2014, 8:58 pm

$1000+ is fair according to chassis for steel, closer too $2000 for 304 stainless for a reputable builder.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 9th 2014, 9:13 pm

X2 for Troy.....

Fwiw ive built half a dozen sets, i do it way too cheap lol.

richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 9th 2014, 10:19 pm

richter69 wrote:X2 for Troy.....

Fwiw ive built half a dozen sets, i do it way too cheap lol.

Jon, whats the guy's name that built the headers for Ted? :.he does awesome work. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  514F-1 December 9th 2014, 10:35 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I am about right on the price. Smile
514F-1
514F-1

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 9th 2014, 11:20 pm

You may consider the stainless if the price isn't too much more. I wish i had figured in the cost of coating in the beginning and it would have been closer to the ss. Idea
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead December 10th 2014, 9:24 am

IIRC,.......
I was quoted $1500 several years ago for a set M/S headers from the late Tim Murphy @ The Fab Shop,.......AND,... I was providing the Merge Collectors.

I originally inquired about Stainless Steel,.........he told me to double the price.   Shocked

Needless to say,.... I went with the Mild Steel versions.

Looking back,......... I kinda wish I would have spent the extra cash on the S/S.   But,....... my combo has changed since then anyhow,....and my headers are a little undersized.   I have 2-1/8-2-1/4 stepped to a 4" collector,....and with the power I'm making now, I really need 2-1/4" all the way.

FWIW,.....
This winter I'm probably going to tackle making a new set of 2-1/4" tubes myself.   I bought a bunch of tubing and I've been practicing on/off with my Tig Welder for a couple of years now.
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  butterbean December 10th 2014, 11:02 am

Mark, I think you will get a nice set made for 1200. to 1500. I have herd about Troy Perez too, if you can swing it try to do the S/S tubes they will out last the engine, I too have Borla race mufflers for my heap I like to here the engine and my opponent, good luck
butterbean
butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down