BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine Build Suggestions for First Time Builder? 1976 F150

3 posters

Go down

Engine Build Suggestions for First Time Builder? 1976 F150 Empty Engine Build Suggestions for First Time Builder? 1976 F150

Post  1985 Bronco May 28th 2019, 9:31 pm

I have a 1976 Ford F150 2wd with a 460/C6. It has an Edelbrock 1405, Hedman long tube headers with 3 inch exhaust with an H pipe, and an HEI distributor.  Everything else is stock. The truck has 96K miles. I would like the truck to be a fun daily driver, with maybe an occasional pass down the drag strip. I have never built an engine before, and I don't have a huge budget, so I would just like to do some basic things. After doing some research, it looks like I should be doing a timing chain, cam, and an intake?

The Edelbrock Performer Intake (non RPM) is often suggested. What cam and timing chain should I go with? Will I be able to keep my 1405 carb and HEI distributor?  I would prefer to not have any head work done, is this possible? I don't have any specific HP goal, just more than I have now. Any idea how much all of this will cost? Any other suggestions?

1985 Bronco

Back to top Go down

Engine Build Suggestions for First Time Builder? 1976 F150 Empty Re: Engine Build Suggestions for First Time Builder? 1976 F150

Post  rmcomprandy May 28th 2019, 11:34 pm

1985 Bronco wrote:I have a 1976 Ford F150 2wd with a 460/C6. It has an Edelbrock 1405, Hedman long tube headers with 3 inch exhaust with an H pipe, and an HEI distributor.  Everything else is stock. The truck has 96K miles.  I would like the truck to be a fun daily driver, with maybe an occasional pass down the drag strip. I have never built an engine before, and I don't have a huge budget, so I would just like to do some basic things. After doing some research, it looks like I should be doing a timing chain, cam, and an intake?

The Edelbrock Performer Intake (non RPM) is often suggested. What cam and timing chain should I go with? Will I be able to keep my 1405 carb and HEI distributor?  I would prefer to not have any head work done, is this possible? I don't have any specific HP goal, just more than I have now. Any idea how much all of this will cost? Any other suggestions?

With 96K miles; build a good short block ... with your equipment and intended usage, I would get the parts necessary for a 502 using a good, suitable hydraulic lifter camshaft grind with a Performer RPM intake.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Engine Build Suggestions for First Time Builder? 1976 F150 Empty Re: Engine Build Suggestions for First Time Builder? 1976 F150

Post  427John May 31st 2019, 5:01 pm

Whether you decide to go with the stroker or not ,avoid the 72 up timing set the 68-71 timing set is worth significant power in a performance build,I believe the truck 460 efi timing set is the good one also.You may want to consider at least grinding the air injection bumps out of the exhaust ports too,I know you prefer not to do head work,but if you have a die grinder and a couple of carbide burrs the time and effort spent is well worth it.Also if you can find a set of early heads such as C8VE.C9VE,or D0VE castings while they still benefit from some exhaust port work they are are better as cast than the D3VE's you probably have.

427John

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down