BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jon Kaase is a Great

+12
valleydawg
dfree383
Doug Rahn
LivermoreDave
DFI429
bbf-falcon
Kevin93
GTmustang
bigblockfox468
Lem Evans
Nevs
c.evans
16 posters

Go down

Jon Kaase is a Great Empty Jon Kaase is a Great

Post  c.evans March 20th 2010, 7:37 pm

public speaker! Exclamation I've been watching the DVDs from Damon of the 2010 Winter Tech Seminar, and the more I listen to Jon's presentation, the more impressed I become! You'd think he's a teacher at the Dale Carnegie Institute of Public Speaking. He's so down to earth, and he keeps you laughing all the time. Laughing Also, he gives us so much information concerning everything from broken crankshafts, dry sump oiling systems, camshafts, to helpful tools (Jon Kaase's Tool Time),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,guys if you did not attend, and you don't order those DVDs from Damon you're crazy Exclamation There's a tremendous wealth of knowledge there from Darin Morgan, to Jeff Jones, to Adam Christian and the rest of our speakers. Knowledge is power. Very Happy

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Jon Kaase is a Great Empty Re: Jon Kaase is a Great

Post  Nevs March 20th 2010, 7:52 pm

X2! Funny you should bring up tool time, Charlie. I was at Lowes this morning and bought a pair of the side cutters that trim right down close so there is nothing left of the plastic tie. Works well too! Cool Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 20th 2010, 7:57 pm

Them things on the end of bread bags require less tools Laughing

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs March 20th 2010, 8:05 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Them things on the end of bread bags require less tools Laughing

But they aren't as pretty, Lem.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 20th 2010, 8:23 pm

Smile

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 March 20th 2010, 10:21 pm

Yeah, he was cool to listen to, really seemed like a down to earth guy....... me being a newbie I could relate. My Dad really liked him too (and he 's 76 not saying nutin bad on that) but Dad thought he was A-OKAY and Dad also thought you were too Charlie cause you were able to get my Dad transportation to the cafeteria so he didn't have to walk Exclamation I didn't get I chance to thank - you on that.( I was the one who asked you about prior to lunch). So I thank you Exclamation

Mike
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GTmustang March 20th 2010, 10:40 pm

c.evans wrote:public speaker! Exclamation I've been watching the DVDs from Damon of the 2010 Winter Tech Seminar, and the more I listen to Jon's presentation, the more impressed I become! You'd think he's a teacher at the Dale Carnegie Institute of Public Speaking. He's so down to earth, and he keeps you laughing all the time. Laughing Also, he gives us so much information concerning everything from broken crankshafts, dry sump oiling systems, camshafts, to helpful tools (Jon Kaase's Tool Time),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,guys if you did not attend, and you don't order those DVDs from Damon you're crazy Exclamation There's a tremendous wealth of knowledge there from Darin Morgan, to Jeff Jones, to Adam Christian and the rest of our speakers. Knowledge is power. Very Happy

Charlie Evans
Maybe they could come out with a "BB Ford Tech for Dummies!" version next year! Very interesting, but some of it was way over my head from a technical standpoint. All the speakers and Charlie the MC did an excellent job, and now they all have been awarded honorary Phd's frpm Rose Hulman to hang on the wall. That's pretty cool!
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin93 March 20th 2010, 10:56 pm

Sorry, I was unable to attend the winter seminar, but I ordered & received my winter seminar DVD today. I have been watching it, & it is very informative. Thanks & have a nice night!!! Cool

Kevin93

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 20th 2010, 11:25 pm

It was a blast. Smart speakers,good food, and great friends. What more could a gear head ask for Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans March 20th 2010, 11:56 pm

[quote="GTmustang

Maybe they could come out with a "BB Ford Tech for Dummies!" version next year! Very interesting, but some of it was way over my head from a technical standpoint. All the speakers and Charlie the MC did an excellent job, and now they all have been awarded honorary Phd's frpm Rose Hulman to hang on the wall. That's pretty cool!
Gary[/quote]

Gary,

You point is well taken, and it's a dilemma I've had over the past four years. The analogy is similar to that of trying to teach high school algebra, and having some students in the class who don't know their multiplication tables yet. The question becomes what skill level do we teach too?

We have guys there who can degree cams, cc cylinder heads, build engines and etc.,,,,then we have guys there who don't know the difference between the top compression ring and the second ring, and have never seen an oil rail support ring, or a set of round wire locks. I don't fault anyone for not knowing, but I do get aggravated at the guys who don't try to educate themselves further. You often hear me suggest that the guys buy the Tech Seminar DVDs from Damon, (and let me say, that I don't make a dime off the DVDs and Damon does good to break even), however the reason is, so that they can learn what the experts have shared with us.

I think the answer is to try to take everyone from where they are and raise them up as far as you can, in regards to their engine building and racing skills. I have some ideas for next year, and it won't be as high end technical, but a little more grass roots/blue collar so to speak.

Thanks,

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 21st 2010, 12:25 am

Preciate all you do Uncle Charlie Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 March 21st 2010, 12:34 am

c.evans wrote:...We have guys there who can degree cams, cc cylinder heads, build engines and etc.,,,,then we have guys there who don't know the difference between the top compression ring and the second ring, and have never seen an oil rail support ring, or a set of round wire locks. I don't fault anyone for not knowing, but I do get aggravated at the guys who don't try to educate themselves further...

Charlie, I feel much the same on a parallel at work... I've been a mechanical and inquisitive mind from the get-go, so my maintenance background in the Air National Guard has been second nature. But there's always been cases of recruiters having a spot to fill, and doing so with not-so-mechanically-inclined personell...

Unfortunately, said persons don't take advantage of the knowledge and experience offered by someone like myself...which is really sad considering this isn't corperate America - information shared here is in the best interest of our nation, not ourselves.
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Jon Kaase is a Great Empty AN IDEA !

Post  LivermoreDave March 21st 2010, 7:56 am

How about inviting Ron White or/and Bill Engvall ?

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs March 21st 2010, 9:02 am

LivermoreDave wrote:How about inviting Ron White or/and Bill Engvall ?

That would be good for some laughs, not sure what we would learn about the BBF however... Laughing Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn March 21st 2010, 9:11 am

Jon is definitly a cool guy. At one of the Bash get togethers at the Roadhouse, Jon and I talked about WWII aircraft, not engines and cars Cool
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Jon Kaase is a Great Empty J.K. (ditto)

Post  LivermoreDave March 21st 2010, 10:06 am

I suppose I need to apologize for my candor considering the topic. Just "ragging" Charlie as to his "blue collar" remark, as I did at breakfast Friday morning while joining Charlie and the guys from Michigan. Good to meet you guys and wish your journey to the North was safe.

As to Jon's presentation(s), they are very good in my opinion because they contain information about the Ford 385 builds most of us are capable of performing! Also as Jon includes a bit of candor with the valuable information he chooses to pass along to us, it makes for an interesting and educational period of time! I admit to being one of the more ...... let's say less intelligent members of the www.429-460.com, but I enjoyed all the presentations some more than others! However with the diagrams, pictures and excellent explanations that were offered I wasn't to lost in the abundance of information, most of which was zipping over my head!

Every Winter tech seminar has been an enjoyable experience while educational for me. I wish everyone attending has enjoyed themselves while gaining knowledge of engines as well other areas important in the search of an efficient and consistent race vehicle!

I do however believe Ron White could explain to us how not to get thrown out of a bar and into an alley, after "throwing down" a few cold ones after the WTS! That would (IMO) be valuable to any of we "engine builders". It would be difficult at best, to assemble an engine with a swollen eye, broken arm or smashed fingers! That is where I believe Ron could offer good advise to anyone enjoying the rewards of a nice Ford 385 series engine!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs March 21st 2010, 10:13 am

LivermoreDave wrote:I suppose I need to apologize for my candor considering the topic. Just "ragging" Charlie as to his "blue collar" remark, as I did at breakfast Friday morning while joining Charlie and the guys from Michigan. Good to meet you guys and wish your journey to the North was safe.

As to Jon's presentation(s), they are very good in my opinion because they contain information about the Ford 385 builds most of us are capable of performing! Also as Jon includes a bit of candor with the valuable information he chooses to pass along to us, it makes for an interesting and educational period of time! I admit to being one of the more ...... let's say less intelligent members of the www.429-460.com, but I enjoyed all the presentations some more than others! However with the diagrams, pictures and excellent explanations that were offered I wasn't to lost in the abundance of information, most of which was zipping over my head!

Every Winter tech seminar has been an enjoyable experience while educational for me. I wish everyone attending has enjoyed themselves while gaining knowledge of engines as well other areas important in the search of an efficient and consistent race vehicle!

I do however believe Ron White could explain to us how not to get thrown out of a bar and into an alley, after "throwing down" a few cold ones after the WTS! That would (IMO) be valuable to any of we "engine builders". It would be difficult at best, to assemble an engine with a swollen eye, broken arm or smashed fingers! That is where I believe Ron could offer good advise to anyone enjoying the rewards of a nice Ford 385 series engine!

Dave.

Dave,you bring up some good points in respect to Ron White. He does have some first hand experience in being "removed" from bars as I understand it. I'm in! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans April 5th 2010, 6:38 pm

ttt Very Happy

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 6th 2010, 8:52 am

Kaase is definetly a top shelf guy !! The Tool Time he's been giving every year is my favorate part. Its helped me a few times and has also helped a few others I know. Its good basic hard learned knowlage that anyone can benefit from.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg April 6th 2010, 9:00 am

Ok I want to order the video. Who do I need to talk too?
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty April 6th 2010, 9:14 am

D. Sea is the user name. You can PM him. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Jon Kaase is a Great Empty BBF For The Completey Mechcanically Disinclined

Post  511Fox April 6th 2010, 12:11 pm

I need this DVD "BBF For The Completey Mechcanically Disinclined" Laughing Laughing Neutral cherry

511Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  jonkaase April 6th 2010, 9:07 pm

I wasn't expecting this thread, but it's nice to hear that one's work is appreciated. It actually takes a couple months to think about and put something like this together. And, as always, I hope there is something for everybody. It's a challenge, but also a lot of fun. Thing is, the whole time I'm putting it together, I'm thinking, "I hope this doesn't suck"
Still just "making it better", ... Kaase

jonkaase

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs April 6th 2010, 9:10 pm

Jon,
Your idea about the close cut side cutters for the wire ties was worth the price of admission in itself. Great idea, use them every time I use a tie. Your presentation was awesome. Thanks again. Cool
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams April 6th 2010, 11:08 pm

maybe it could be a 3 disc set of knowledge. Rookie intermediate and advanced. I am sure even the guys with a lot of knowledge wouls watch all 3 to make sure they don't miss any thing.

c.evans wrote:[quote="GTmustang

Gary

Gary,

You point is well taken, and it's a dilemma I've had over the past four years. The analogy is similar to that of trying to teach high school algebra, and having some students in the class who don't know their multiplication tables yet. The question becomes what skill level do we teach too?

We have guys there who can degree cams, cc cylinder heads, build engines and etc.,,,,then we have guys there who don't know the difference between the top compression ring and the second ring, and have never seen an oil rail support ring, or a set of round wire locks. I don't fault anyone for not knowing, but I do get aggravated at the guys who don't try to educate themselves further. You often hear me suggest that the guys buy the Tech Seminar DVDs from Damon, (and let me say, that I don't make a dime off the DVDs and Damon does good to break even), however the reason is, so that they can learn what the experts have shared with us.

I think the answer is to try to take everyone from where they are and raise them up as far as you can, in regards to their engine building and racing skills. I have some ideas for next year, and it won't be as high end technical, but a little more grass roots/blue collar so to speak.

Thanks,

Charlie Evans[/quote]
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down