BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predator carburetor

+5
whatbumper
dirt_worker
Curt
FORDMUD
bb429power
9 posters

Go down

Predator carburetor Empty Predator carburetor

Post  bb429power January 17th 2011, 2:47 pm

Never seen anything like this and I can't help but think this guy is just a moron saying its a self adjusting venturi. Or is he right, I've never seen a carb like this though. Anyone want to inform me on it and how it works?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/2158142776.html
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Predator carburetor Empty Re: Predator carburetor

Post  FORDMUD January 17th 2011, 3:02 pm

I run one on my mud truck. Works really well. I don't fully understand the science though.
FORDMUD
FORDMUD

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 17th 2011, 3:06 pm

They have been around longer than you Justin. LOL. It's called a variable Venturi. Ford had one in the early 80's that was a POS. There are people that swear by them, others just swear at them. Very Happy
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power January 17th 2011, 3:07 pm

There must be the regular venturi, then above or below the throttle blade(s) there could be an adjustable piece that gets bigger or smaller based on vacuum.

But I could be way off. I've just never seen one of those before, not looking to buy it anyway.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker January 17th 2011, 3:15 pm

My experience been that they either run fantastic or poorly. I had 2 years ago and they both ran great. Not much of a a street carnies though. They're an amazingly simple design w very few parts...
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 17th 2011, 3:37 pm

Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Predator work?
The Predator is a variable venturi design that works off of the air demand of the motor and meters fuel accordingly. Thus, provided that you have the proper fuel metering cam for your application, you will neither be undercarbureted or overcarbureted with the Predator at any given rpm range.

What kind of carburetor is the Predator suitable to replace?
The Predator replaces four barrel carburetor applications from 600 cfm to 930 cfm.

What is the Predator fuel metering cam?
The Predator fuel metering cam is a flat piece of brass located inside the fuel bowl that is cut to a certain slope. The slope of this cam is what determines the air/fuel ratio from roughly 3000rpm and up.

How easily can the throttle linkage be installed?
The 6000 is equipped with a simple throttle arm which has two 1/4" diameter holes in it for easy adjustment and quick installation.

What are the adjustments on the Predator?
The three simple adjustments are idle mixture, idle speed, and upper rpm metering cam change.

Is there an air cleaner adapter available?
A standard 5" o.d. air cleaner adapter is included with every purchase of the Predator 6000.

Are there any vacuum hose connections on the Predator?
No, there are no vacuum hose connections on the Predator.

How tall is it?
The Predator is 5 1/4" in height from the bottom of the base to the rim of the air cleaner adapter.

How does it work with nitrous oxide, blowers, and turbos?
The Predator is an excellent application when used in conjunction with nitrous oxide, on a blower, or with a turbo charger (draw though type).

How much fuel psi is required for "all-out" maximum performance?
On a naturally aspirated motor, 6 psi at wide open throttle is required for maximum performance.

http://predatorcarb.com/performance/faq.html
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power January 17th 2011, 3:49 pm

Predator carbs is the devil!!! affraid Laughing Bobby Boucher's momma would agree.

Predator carburetor 4683448836_TheWaterboy1998INTERNALDVDRipXViD_BeRRa
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 17th 2011, 4:41 pm

Bigfoot used to run those carbs.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power January 17th 2011, 4:44 pm

whatbumper wrote:Bigfoot used to run those carbs.
I think they have a picture of it on their website, but the pictures are so dang small.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 17th 2011, 9:17 pm

i have to say i like them.i had one back in the day and the response was far better than a holley.most folks didnt undestand them so the didnt like them.the thing was to be sure and buy the linkage so you could turn the fuel bowl to the front or the engine would die when you made a left turn.they're tall and funny looking but do run good.kinda like a good basketball player. Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power January 17th 2011, 9:20 pm

cool40 wrote:i have to say i like them.i had one back in the day and the response was far better than a holley.most folks didnt undestand them so the didnt like them.the thing was to be sure and buy the linkage so you could turn the fuel bowl to the front or the engine would die when you made a left turn.they're tall and funny looking but do run good.kinda like a good basketball player. Very Happy
Couldn't make a left? Must not have been popular in NASCAR. We're goin LAYFT! Laughing My friend calls me NASCAR whenever he sees me.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper January 17th 2011, 9:35 pm

nascar is gay
thats the whole deal there.
makes a left, makes a left, makes a left, makes a left.
glorified demo derby thats all they are.

Predators run pretty good. you can buy cams, or get blanks and make your own, add a bowl extension and turn it into an alcohol carb. just dont be too happy on the fuel pressure.
They are a good bang for buck deal if buying used, but there are better carbs.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power January 17th 2011, 9:40 pm

I tried my best to watch nascar one day and it was torture, TORTURE I TELL YA. Maybe it was cool back in the day though when it wasn't all the same.

I don't think I would get one of these though, I like the other style carbs.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 17th 2011, 11:38 pm

If you can turn, you're not accelerating hard enough! cheers
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE January 18th 2011, 9:52 am

I used to run a pair of them tractor pulling. When I ran them on gas, things seemed to work very well. They had great throttle response, and overall worked very well. The engine was a 480 ci w/ c9 heads that had been max effort ported w/ bigger valves; 15.5:1 c/r. When I switched them to alcohol, the problems started. It would not finish a pass. The engine would be running along just fine at around 72-7400rpm, then on the big end, when the load hits hard, it would cough and die. I tried everything under the sun to fix them. Adjusted the screws, bought and made every metering cam imaginable, to no avail. It was very frustrating to be having a great pass going and then just die. I fought with them for a couple of years. I tried fuel bowl extensions, double fuel bowl extensions, big jets, big cams, mechanically opening the doors, nothing seemed to solve the problem totally. I did finally solve the problem though, I bought a pair of chuck nuytten prepped dominators and never had the problem again.
The big eye opener to me was when I switched from the predators to the pair of dominators, the sound of the engine, and the amount of exhaust that was coming out at idle-3000 rpms changed totally. I was able to go up 3-4 gears by changing carbs and a couple other little things. I think I still have the alky predators if anyone is interested. I put them under the bench, and I think they are still there. I was always afraid to sell them and have someone come back and say I sold them junk carbs.
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power January 18th 2011, 11:46 am

Very interesting, thanks for the comment. And I like the avatar picture.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE January 19th 2011, 10:46 am

Thanks, that was taken a couple years ago. Actually dropped a valve at that pull, shortly after the picture was taken. Still won the show, but it was a costly one. Took the heads off, and sent them to Charlie to weld them up, and fix them. While they were there they got all new titanium valves, and some other issues fixed.
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra January 26th 2011, 9:43 am

I tried one back in 94 on my cobra two it was my brothers and it ran good it was like fuel injection.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down