BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

timing chain cover

5 posters

Go down

timing chain cover Empty timing chain cover

Post  motorhead November 4th 2012, 8:11 am

I had to buy a timing cover for the 429 I am working on and the one I got has a provision for a dip stick. Since the oil dip stick for this motor is in the oil pan I do not need the one in the timing cover. Now the timing cover came with a 3 inch rod to be inserted into the hole where the dip stick goes. So my question is, how far down does this rod have to go? This is a Ford Motorsport timing cover and there are 3 holes that this rod has to go through, the third one being the one that leads to the oil supply.

motorhead

Back to top Go down

timing chain cover Empty Re: timing chain cover

Post  Wheelie58 November 4th 2012, 9:25 am

As I recall, I usually install the plug so it is left slightly protruding from the top of the cover.
It really makes no difference as long as the hole is filled.
I always put Loctite on the plug to seal it before pressing it in.
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 4th 2012, 10:52 am

motorhead wrote:I had to buy a timing cover for the 429 I am working on and the one I got has a provision for a dip stick. Since the oil dip stick for this motor is in the oil pan I do not need the one in the timing cover. Now the timing cover came with a 3 inch rod to be inserted into the hole where the dip stick goes. So my question is, how far down does this rod have to go? This is a Ford Motorsport timing cover and there are 3 holes that this rod has to go through, the third one being the one that leads to the oil supply.

The largest diameter, (about 5/8" long), is above the top casting.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  zbob November 4th 2012, 8:44 pm

on my stock cover i squeezed the end of the tube tight with a pair of side cutters and brazed it.....bobn

zbob

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 November 4th 2012, 11:19 pm

zbob wrote:on my stock cover i squeezed the end of the tube tight with a pair of side cutters and brazed it.....bobn

I cut the dip stick off about 3'' from the top filled the cup up under the pull ring with RTV and put it back in
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down