BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Really atlanta ?? 2 1/2 inches of snow and you abandon cars ect ....lol

+10
Dave C.
Barney
richter69
83-88T-Bird Guy
69bluehotrod
David Cole
56Tbird
61coon
cool40
5pointslow
14 posters

Go down

Really atlanta ?? 2 1/2 inches of snow and you abandon cars ect ....lol  Empty Really atlanta ?? 2 1/2 inches of snow and you abandon cars ect ....lol

Post  5pointslow January 30th 2014, 10:33 am

Myabe its because im from New england but

seeing kids stay over the night at schools , cars abandon on highways ect ......for 2 1/2 inches ?

i understand they prob dont have any plows or sanders , but 2 1/2 inches ....hell i have a 2wd f350 last storm i was driving to work with unplowed roads with 5 inches plus coming down.

Just saying ....it made me  Laughing  below is from news

Only about 2 1/2 inches actually fell on the city of Atlanta, but thousands of drivers were hopelessly stuck for as long as two days, many without food and water.

Deal ordered the National Guard to clear the way for school buses that were carefully delivering schoolchildren back to their homes after thousands of them were marooned overnight. All of them were "home safe and sound" by late Wednesday afternoon, Deal said.
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Really atlanta ?? 2 1/2 inches of snow and you abandon cars ect ....lol  Empty Re: Really atlanta ?? 2 1/2 inches of snow and you abandon cars ect ....lol

Post  cool40 January 30th 2014, 10:40 am

First they got freezing rain.  Shocked 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Really atlanta ?? 2 1/2 inches of snow and you abandon cars ect ....lol  Empty Re: Really atlanta ?? 2 1/2 inches of snow and you abandon cars ect ....lol

Post  61coon January 30th 2014, 11:09 am

Yeah I think the freezing rain and ice was the main problem. None the less,it was a bit comical...
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 30th 2014, 11:34 am

That's funny shit...We usually just run the speed limit in that shit here!! cheers king 
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole January 30th 2014, 11:36 am

Birmingham was impassable as well. I had to stay stay in a hotel Tues night 50 miles from home. 2 routes to get home from work when I got off. Both blocked by a combination of 2.5" of ICE on road and jackknifed 18 wheelers. Trucks that are supposedly driven by professionals that can drive in anything. 80% of problems were caused by the trucks that couldn't get up hills on the interstates or that were jackknifed.

1. Add to that a forecast that was totally missed. Forecast was for this stuff to hit 100-150 miles south.

2. No sand on roads until it was too late. Then sand trucks couldn't get through. There are NO salt trucks.

3. Once it started snowing, it started to "stick" from the start. Temp forecast was for 31-32°. Never hit 20°. Normally when it snows here half of it will melt making slush that you can still drive in. Didn't happen this time.

4. When it started to stick all the school officials screwed up. They let school out at 12:30. Was too late. Should have been done at 10:00, but then the schools wouldn't have got credit for a full day of class (less govt $$ or a make up day). Add that to all the employers releasing everyone at the same time and it made a mess. Entire metro area hit the road within 30 mins.

5. I don't care who you are or what you drive, once this stuff got packed into 2.5" ice you are done. 4X4 no good. My front wheel drive with lowered tire pressure was toast on the worst of it. First time ever I couldn't get home. You can't even buy snow chains or studded tires here.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod January 30th 2014, 12:13 pm

affraid  GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://rainbowvacuumsalesservice.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy January 30th 2014, 12:13 pm

I left Auburn, Al around 8 am yesterday morning. Bad roads all the way to Birmingham.
We traveled north on I-65 and when we got to Birmingham around 11:30 am local time,  it was an unreal site.

Hundreds of abandoned vehicles on both sides of the road.

The reason the traffic crawled on I-65 was because everybody had to weave around abandoned vehicles in the driving lanes.  

We figured the ones in the driving lanes were the ones that ran out of fuel.

So we started weaving in and around anything that looked abandoned and got out of there.

We saw the busses bring people back and returning to their cars.
Problem was that a lot of cars were blocked by other cars.

Pretty much everything was closed in Alabama.
Good thing we fueled up Tuesday morning.

Got home without a scratch and I really love that traction control on the 2013 F-150  2wd company truck I drove.  Very Happy

Last edited by 83-88T-Bird Guy on January 30th 2014, 12:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy January 30th 2014, 12:22 pm

David Cole wrote:Birmingham was impassable as well.  I had to stay stay in a hotel Tues night 50 miles from home.  2 routes to get home from work when I got off.  Both blocked by a combination of 2.5" of ICE on road and jackknifed 18 wheelers.  Trucks that are supposedly driven by professionals that can drive in anything.   80% of problems were caused by the trucks that couldn't get up hills on the interstates or that were jackknifed.

1.  Add to that a forecast that was totally missed.  Forecast was for this stuff to hit 100-150 miles south.

2.  No sand on roads until it was too late.  Then sand trucks couldn't get through.  There are NO salt trucks.

3.  Once it started snowing, it started to "stick" from the start.  Temp forecast was for 31-32°.  Never hit 20°.  Normally when it snows here half of it will melt making slush that you can still drive in.  Didn't happen this time.  

4.  When it started to stick all the school officials screwed up.  They let school out at 12:30.  Was too late.  Should have been done at 10:00, but then the schools wouldn't have got credit for a full day of class (less govt $$ or a make up day).  Add that to all the employers releasing everyone at the same time and it made a mess.  Entire metro area hit the road within 30 mins.  

5.  I don't care who you are or what you drive, once this stuff got packed into 2.5" ice you are done.  4X4 no good.  My front wheel drive with lowered tire pressure was toast on the worst of it.  First time ever I couldn't get home.   You can't even buy snow chains or studded tires here.

I drove a 2013 F-150 2wd with traction control and it did great thru that packed ice on I-65.
There was one hill (not sure of the mile marker area) where my friend in front of me engaged his 4wd in his Silverado to get up.

That ice had a  glossy shine so I didn't dare engage the locker rear end in that Ford truck because then I would have been all over the place.
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy January 30th 2014, 12:27 pm

My understanding what happened in Atlanta was the ground was so warm, that when it snowed, the snow melted and then the cold air came and all that melted snow quickly froze.

At least that's what the Weather Channel people said.
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 30th 2014, 4:40 pm

Life threatening blizzard....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney January 30th 2014, 4:58 pm

Babyshit...
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 30th 2014, 5:16 pm

The mayor has started a fight with the weather folks... Said they he had no warning...  afro 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 30th 2014, 5:22 pm

I was watching an interview on the news with the mayor of Atlanta and he said that city has almost a million dollars of almost new sanders and snow removing equipment. However, it just sits there because there has been no advance planning what-so-ever of exactly how to use it when the need arises only every couple years.

Good job Atlanta ...

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R January 30th 2014, 9:34 pm

That's pretty much normal driving here. St Paul didn't plow the last two nuisance snow falls so there was already 4-5 inches of slop on the streets and then another 6 1/2 inches fell this morning, they'll start plowing tonight. The streets here look like Beruit, rutted and wavy, you don't really have to steer. They won't actually plow to the curb so by the end of winter the streets are down to one lane down the middle. Then you've got the ass hats that don't move their cars before the plows come so they get plowed around leaving huge snow banks that freeze solid for the rest of winter. Laughing

Last edited by Mike R on January 30th 2014, 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf January 30th 2014, 9:34 pm

The problem is in the south we have NO sanding trucks or snowplows. We get a skiff of snow about every 8 years. The big problem is not the snow anyways. It is the fact the temps hover around freezing during the day while it rains like crazy then freezes to a nice skating rink at night. Remember when I said we have no sanding trucks... Problem #2 is the humidity. I never understood those freezing road signs on bridges up north. It's either cold or it's not most of the time. Here the temp difference below and above the bridges and overpasses causes all the water to drop out and sit right on the bridge. The other day we had only one bridge open and it had a solid 1/2" layer of ice on it. I went and drove over it just to see what all the fuss was about. Now imagine every over pass every couple of miles like that and you have accidents up the ass so they closed all the bridges. Well it is impossible to go anywhere without driving over an overpass unless you live in the country.

What I think is really funny is how people from up north can't make it through the summer months without forgetting how to drive in the snow because every fall when the first blast of winter comes their are pile ups everywhere. At least we have 8 years to forget how it is to drive in snow.   Razz  Razz cheers
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R January 30th 2014, 9:39 pm

What I think is really funny is how people from up north can't make it through the summer months without forgetting how to drive in the snow because every fall when the first blast of winter comes their are pile ups everywhere. At least we have 8 years to forget how it is to drive in snow.   Razz  Razz cheers[/quote]

I know, and I love it. This has been a great winter for us at the body shop, we're booked out 4-5 weeks on loaners and it's raining wrecks cheers cheers cheers 

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior January 30th 2014, 9:50 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:I was watching an interview on the news with the mayor of Atlanta and he said that city has almost a million dollars of almost new sanders and snow removing equipment.  However, it just sits there because there has been no advance planning what-so-ever of exactly how to use it when the need arises only every couple years.

Good job Atlanta ...

Winner !!! Winner !!!!
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down