BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Directions from Atlanta to New England Dragway

+2
70FB
Wheelie58
6 posters

Go down

Directions from Atlanta to New England Dragway Empty Directions from Atlanta to New England Dragway

Post  Wheelie58 September 8th 2013, 9:04 am

This week I will load up the Methanol Motel and the KFM Flying Circus of Speed and tow up to Epping NH for the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion. I could use some advice from our Northeastern guys on the best route from Atlanta to New Hampshire. The map programs give several options and I don't want to end up in lots of cities with toll roads.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Keith
678-458-2033
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Directions from Atlanta to New England Dragway Empty Re: Directions from Atlanta to New England Dragway

Post  70FB September 8th 2013, 9:12 am

When I went to YBN last week,I bypassed Washington and Baltimore by jumping on 301 just north of Richmond. It does have 2 tolls and a tunnel but it put me on I895 in the northeast corner of Baltimore. 301 is a 4 lane highway. It had a few small towns to go through but time wise it was the same as going I95.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Directions from Atlanta to New England Dragway Empty Re: Directions from Atlanta to New England Dragway

Post  Glenn M. September 8th 2013, 1:52 pm

For my two cents worth (And probably not worth that) - I wouldn't touch the northeast corridor on I-95 for love nor money.
It's kind of a mess from Richmond VA north a lot of the time. If I had it to do, I'd head up I-75 to I-40 east to I-81 to I-88 to I-90 (The only tollway I see on the route, I may be wrong), do the beltway around Boston, and then I-95 into New Hampshire. There'll be the usual construction projects on I-81, I heard of one or two of the Southbound lanes being closed around Christiansburg, VA (Somewhere around there) sometime back, that project may be done by now.
I usually go straight through Knoxville, TN, not the bypass, never had a problem there, even when they were working on the road big time several years ago.
Other than that, I'm not a real big fan of I-81 in the Lehigh valley and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre  area of PA (Road gets a little "up and down" and a little narrow to be an interstate), and 81 is always thick with traffic, but I've only been in one traffic jam on it in all the years I've travelled it. To me, I-95 has always been bumper to bumper, especially north of Fredericksburg, VA to DC, and around Wilmington, DE. Been in plenty of jams on I-95.
Like I said, though, my advice is about 2 cents worth if that. That's a long haul, be safe whatever route you take.
Glenn M.

Glenn M.
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 8th 2013, 6:08 pm

i will be there Sat , thats my local track

i go 495

Keith i will swing by and meet you sat , the air is cool right now ....track is close to sea level and was paved last year or year before a nice track and not saying that because it my local place either

95 will bring you into CT RI ect ................ i go 495 due to me being close in MASS and this avoids boston and the tunnels .....DOT can fine the shit out of guys with enclosed trailers with race fuel , propane tanks ect for going throough the tunnels

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 8th 2013, 6:08 pm

i will be there Sat , thats my local track

i go 495

Keith i will swing by and meet you sat , the air is cool right now ....track is close to sea level and was paved last year or year before a nice track and not saying that because it my local place either

95 will bring you into CT RI ect ................ i go 495 due to me being close in MASS and this avoids boston and the  tunnels  .....DOT can fine the shit out of guys with enclosed trailers with race fuel , propane tanks ect for going throough the tunnels
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH September 8th 2013, 6:13 pm

Take any directions that by pass NY city and uses CT rt's that connect to rt90 to 495

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 8th 2013, 6:48 pm

above 100 % avoid boston tunnel DOT cops not good ...race fuel ect big fines ....495 avoids all of that
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 8th 2013, 8:41 pm

Glenn M. wrote:For my two cents worth (And probably not worth that) - I wouldn't touch the northeast corridor on I-95 for love nor money.
It's kind of a mess from Richmond VA north a lot of the time. If I had it to do, I'd head up I-75 to I-40 east to I-81 to I-88 to I-90 (The only tollway I see on the route, I may be wrong), do the beltway around Boston, and then I-95 into New Hampshire. There'll be the usual construction projects on I-81, I heard of one or two of the Southbound lanes being closed around Christiansburg, VA (Somewhere around there) sometime back, that project may be done by now.
I usually go straight through Knoxville, TN, not the bypass, never had a problem there, even when they were working on the road big time several years ago.
Other than that, I'm not a real big fan of I-81 in the Lehigh valley and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre  area of PA (Road gets a little "up and down" and a little narrow to be an interstate), and 81 is always thick with traffic, but I've only been in one traffic jam on it in all the years I've travelled it. To me, I-95 has always been bumper to bumper, especially north of Fredericksburg, VA to DC, and around Wilmington, DE. Been in plenty of jams on I-95.
Like I said, though, my advice is about 2 cents worth if that. That's a long haul, be safe whatever route you take.
Glenn M.
x1000

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 September 8th 2013, 10:30 pm

Thanks guys.
Now I have a lot more information to make it a safe, fun trip.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 9th 2013, 5:58 am

keith you have a pm
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down