BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock cam + Ported DOVEs + Victor = ?

5 posters

Go down

Stock cam + Ported DOVEs + Victor = ? Empty Stock cam + Ported DOVEs + Victor = ?

Post  SLord82 March 11th 2016, 11:29 am

I have a 96ish EFI shortblock that seems to be in good shape that I'm planning on slapping together with a set of fully ported Doves (with 2.25in 1.71 ex valves), a Victor, an SV1 100mm (or 105 I forget now) carb, AND the stock cam... I'm just using parts that I have to get it going so I can drop it in my 71 Torino and get the car sorted enough to do a full 547 P51 build.

I know that the Victor and Doves aren't a great match (and I should mention that it has already been port matched to my set of P51s), but this isn't a race car. I also know the stock cam is tiny but I don't wanna spend money on a temporary setup, plus a bigger cam would require notching the pistons for the big valve Doves.

I think the stock EFI shortblock with the Doves should give me about 10.2:1 compression and a dynamic compression of about 8.3:1 which both seem healthy enough to run well.

My question is will this package run well enough for cruising and a little fun or should I use a stealth and QFT 950 I also have? I rather use the Victor and SV1 because thats what I'll be using on the 547, plus they'll look cool. I don't have to use the Victor if it's just gonna run like **** but if there is likely only a moderate performance difference then I'll just stick with my plan.

The car is a 1971 Torino with a T56 (6 speed) and a 3.55 Locker out back. The exhaust will be 2 inch primary custom mid length headers (have to get around a rack and pinion conversion) with full 3 inch dual pipes all the way back.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Stock cam + Ported DOVEs + Victor = ? Empty Re: Stock cam + Ported DOVEs + Victor = ?

Post  gmsmkr March 11th 2016, 12:24 pm

Save the intake and carb put it on the shelf

A performer rpm and a 950 will be sufficient for what your looking for and run well with bottom end power in a driver

No matter what the rear gear is it will love to pull
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Stock cam + Ported DOVEs + Victor = ? Empty Re: Stock cam + Ported DOVEs + Victor = ?

Post  SLord82 March 11th 2016, 1:38 pm

My question isn't which setup is best in this scenario. My question is, will the Victor and big carb run like shit with this setup? Is it going to totally bog down all the time on the street or should it run well enough with decent compression and the professionally ported heads?

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino March 11th 2016, 2:22 pm

It may run okay, but it will very likely be "soft" down low and throttle response will be mediocre.
Don't think a Victor and carb will fit under the stock hood though!!
But give it a try and see how you like it.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr March 11th 2016, 4:21 pm

SLord82 wrote:My question isn't which setup is best in this scenario. My question is, will the Victor and big carb run like shit with this setup? Is it going to totally bog down all the time on the street or should it run well enough with decent compression and the professionally ported heads?

Sure sounds like your asking which is better to me.... put the stuff you got on it and drive it if that's what you want Rolling Eyes
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 March 11th 2016, 4:24 pm

BBFTorino wrote:It may run okay, but it will very likely be "soft" down low and throttle response will be mediocre.
Don't think a Victor and carb will fit under the stock hood though!!
But give it a try and see how you like it.

Thanks, this is the feedback I'm looking for.

From what I've seen the Stealth is 6.25 tall and the victor is 6.75 but the SV1 is about half an inch shorter than a typical carb so hopefully its a wash. I was able to get the stealth and a 950 under a GT hood with a drop base air filter setup. So I think I can get the victor and sv1 under there with some creativity. With the factory scoop on the hood, that lends itself to a creative intake setup.

Hopefully its not too much of a dog down low, but would a small cam affect it that much?

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 March 11th 2016, 4:29 pm

gmsmkr wrote:
SLord82 wrote:My question isn't which setup is best in this scenario. My question is, will the Victor and big carb run like shit with this setup? Is it going to totally bog down all the time on the street or should it run well enough with decent compression and the professionally ported heads?

Sure sounds like your asking which is better to me.... put the stuff you got on it and drive it if that's what you want Rolling Eyes

Its not, but i do appreciate any input. Sorry if my original post was unclear.

I'm just concerned that a victor and big carb will run terrible with a stock shortblock. I'll likely move forward with my plan unless someone has experience saying it'll just be a dog. It's definitely not the typical setup, so I'm sure most people won't have first hand experience with this.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr March 11th 2016, 4:45 pm

It will be a dog..... my original post.... not because of tthe intake or carb BUT the stock cam is what's going to kill it
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 11th 2016, 5:05 pm

SLord82 wrote:My question isn't which setup is best in this scenario. My question is, will the Victor and big carb run like shit with this setup? Is it going to totally bog down all the time?

YES ... and not much fun to drive.

EDIT: Totally mismatched ... use it all that way so you can find out for yourself.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on March 11th 2016, 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 March 11th 2016, 5:06 pm

gmsmkr wrote:It will be a dog.....  my original post.... not because of tthe intake or carb BUT the stock cam is what's going to kill it

Thanks

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 March 11th 2016, 6:59 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
SLord82 wrote:My question isn't which setup is best in this scenario. My question is, will the Victor and big carb run like shit with this setup? Is it going to totally bog down all the time?

YES ... and not much fun to drive.

EDIT:  Totally mismatched ... use it all that way so you can find out for yourself.

Thanks Randy. I figured it was bit mismatched but didn't know how bad. If its gonna run bad and not be any good to drive I'll stick with the stealth and a 950 for now.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffgfg March 11th 2016, 7:34 pm

For drive ability you would be better off using a stock intake and a 750 cfm carb. With the stock cam, even with the Stealth and a 950 I think it will still be a dog. My SCJ Torino stock, only took an 850 cfm. But try it and see.......

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 March 11th 2016, 7:50 pm

jeffgfg wrote:For drive ability you would be better off using a stock intake and a 750 cfm carb. With the stock cam, even with the Stealth and a 950 I think it will still be a dog. My SCJ Torino stock, only took an 850 cfm. But try it and see.......

You know I hadn't thought about using a stock intake. I might have a 4v truck intake I could try. The smallest carb I have is an 850 demon that needs a rebuild. Might try the stock intake and 950, as I'm working 460 cubes vs your 429.

Randy, any thoughts about this option?

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 12th 2016, 12:54 am

A stock O.E.M. intake manifold would probably drive great.
Block off the exhaust cross-over and use a 4 hole 1" thick spacer under your 850.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino March 12th 2016, 1:36 am

The stock intake may have the best drivability, but the effort to put that heavy beast on there is unwelcome!!
Just grab an Edelbrock Performer if you're going to do that!!
Even a nice used one. I see them often on craiglist usually for under $125

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 March 12th 2016, 11:33 am

BBFTorino wrote:The stock intake may have the best drivability, but the effort to put that heavy beast on there is unwelcome!!
Just grab an Edelbrock Performer if you're going to do that!!
Even a nice used one. I see them often on craiglist usually for under $125

If I were to spend money on it I'd get the pistons fly cut for a bigger can. Trying to spend as little as possible on it though.

Thanks

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 March 12th 2016, 11:36 am

rmcomprandy wrote:A stock O.E.M. intake manifold would probably drive great.
Block off the exhaust cross-over and use a 4 hole 1" thick spacer under your 850.

Any reason for a 4 hole versus a open spacer?

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 12th 2016, 11:53 am

SLord82 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:A stock O.E.M. intake manifold would probably drive great.

Any reason for a 4 hole versus a open spacer?

YES ... but, try both and use whatever you want after you learn the difference for yourself.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down