BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

16 volt Battery troubles

4 posters

Go down

16 volt Battery troubles Empty 16 volt Battery troubles

Post  sg86coupe May 10th 2016, 9:42 pm

So Saturday I'm thinking I finally have all the bugs out, ready to race. 1 st round I'm 008 in the tree, dead 3. I'm thinking every body else is in trouble. 2 nd round battery is so dead will not turn over motor. Battery was bought new in November and has been on charger since unless car is running, even between rounds. Put it on charge when I got home, next morning charging light is off. I assume battery charged back up. During the same time the battery died the water pump died also. Did not blow fuse or trip relay. Could the water pump of killed the battery? If so how do I check battery for damage?

sg86coupe

Back to top Go down

16 volt Battery troubles Empty Re: 16 volt Battery troubles

Post  FalconEh May 10th 2016, 11:17 pm

sg86coupe wrote:So Saturday I'm thinking I finally have all the bugs out, ready to race. 1 st round I'm 008 in the tree, dead 3. I'm thinking every body else is in trouble. 2 nd round battery is so dead will not turn over motor. Battery was bought new in November and has been on charger since unless car is running, even between rounds. Put it on charge when I got home, next morning charging light is off. I assume battery charged back up. During the same time the battery died the water pump died also. Did not blow fuse or trip relay. Could the water pump of killed the battery? If so how do I check battery for damage?    

Right kind of lights on the tree Cool As for the battery what kind of charger do you have? Depending on the charger some will move into trickle mode and just upkeep the battery when it needs it, and some will just boil it until it is toast. Unless there is a wiring problem the waterpump is likely not the culprit, however anything is possible I could kill it with a screwdriver and a spark show. I would use a proper charger with a recondition circuit and see if the battery recovers or goes into fault mode, if you bought it in November it should be under warranty but you will need to do some parasitic draw testing on the car and look closer at the charger, a good battery with a good charging system will usually have the ability to charge enough in 30 seconds to refire on its own after recovering from a sub start draw issue.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 11th 2016, 12:42 am

If you charge between rounds are you making sure to kill the power to the car? If not this may be the water pump issue. Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  sg86coupe May 11th 2016, 5:21 pm

The charger is the right one, bought it with battery. And no I did not turn off the kill switch between rounds. So your saying 16 volts is hard on water pumps?

sg86coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 11th 2016, 7:50 pm

sg86coupe wrote:The charger is the right one, bought it with battery. And no I did not turn off the kill switch between rounds. So your saying 16 volts is hard on water pumps?

16, no.

The 18 plus while charging, yes.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 11th 2016, 11:33 pm

whatbumper wrote:
sg86coupe wrote:The charger is the right one, bought it with battery. And no I did not turn off the kill switch between rounds. So your saying 16 volts is hard on water pumps?

16, no.

The 18 plus while charging, yes.
pale yes it will burn it up,so I've been told.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down