BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally got to the track

4 posters

Go down

Finally got to the track Empty Finally got to the track

Post  the tree man August 4th 2024, 9:15 pm

I was able to get to the nostalgia drags today and I'm pleased with the outcome. Took the car grocery shopping last night and did absolutely zero to it for race day. Ran it just the way I've been using it around town. Air filter,mufflers,tire pressure,etc. Car ran awesome and I didn't even bother opening the hood all day. No trailer,drove it about 150 miles round trip there and back. Got 3 passes and I think I can improve on the results a bit. Best was 10.80 @ 125 w/1.5 60ft. Footbraked to about 1800rpm and punched it. No spinning,hooked and took off,super easy on parts. Pretty good considering full interior and the rudimentary suspension. Leaf springs,slapper bars,air shocks (for when I load the trunk with  picnic crap) and worn out front shocks that extend like 90/10's. Outstanding day,nice and cool (it's been a scorcher here lately),had some front engine dragsters,neat gassers and 60's super stockers like the T-Bolt. We have another bigger one on the Sept long weekend and I'm looking forward to it. Appreciate the help I've gotten from everybody here during this build. Thanks.
the tree man
the tree man

BigBlockRanger, Mark Miller, hbstang and BBFTorino like this post

Back to top Go down

Finally got to the track Empty Re: Finally got to the track

Post  Mark Miller August 4th 2024, 11:50 pm

Cool car and Nice Run a 10.80@125 and a 1.5 60ft. is pretty Damn good IMO especially for driving it 150 miles to the track and back home i haven't ran that fast yet best of a 11.27@122 mph with smaller carb than in this picture!! It sounds like the carbs worked good after the changes you mentioned in the Engine Tech Section? Do you have any under hood engine pictures  with the Dual Carbs?And also what's your engine Combo Cubic inch, Compression, Camshaft and such and also Transmission Torque Converter and rear gearing? ThanksFinally got to the track Img_3413
Finally got to the track Img_3414

Mark Miller

hbstang likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man August 5th 2024, 12:28 pm

It's about where I expected. I'm sure I"m leaving some results on the table at the starting line but I'm not interested in finding the weakest link in the drivetrain either. My top priority with the car was getting the authentic T-bolt spirit and some serious bite to go with the bark. We've all seen the clones of Yenkos,T-bolts,etc that have NOTHING in common with their ancestor except a couple decals. That's a pet peeve for me. I get flamed a bit for not going FE but the car came with all the Crites stuff for a 460 and I've had a half dozen of those,never had an FE;however,I went the extra mile to keep everything else period correctish. Any new aftermarket branded parts I painted or decaled to look retro. I've redone almost everything on this toilet except paint.

545,ported SCJ heads,BT dual quad w/750's,SFT 655/655 258/262@.050,OE Duraspark w/6AL locked at 30*,Taylor Thundervolt wires for the Thunderbolt (couldn't resist),Scat rotating 10:1,C6 reworked and toughened by a friend (still auto for street but stiff shift kit),Hurst Pro-Matic (console is from a '70 Buick I chopped up to fit over the Hurst),custom Coan 3700 converter,9" w/OE clutch posi 3.91 (E-T faker diff cover to give the bland 9" a face),3" pipes out to the back with straight through mufflers,275/60 Hoosier's. I did extend the old set of slapper bars about 4" to get the snubber right under the spring eye and have them just touching at rest. Big aluminium rad (painted black to look right) with a helper pusher fan,runs 170*,190* tops in heat and traffic.

Finally got to the track Img_2013

Finally got to the track Img_2014

Finally got to the track Img_2015

Finally got to the track Img_2016

Finally got to the track 20200727

I found an old,chrome Auto Meter tach to replace the monstrosity on the dash but it needs a tach adapter. I picked it open to get the FORD decal on the face.

Finally got to the track Img_2017
the tree man
the tree man

Mark Miller, hbstang and 1982GT like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller August 5th 2024, 11:35 pm

Damn that car is Very Cool you want to trade!! Smile Smile Are those Aluminum SCJ Heads Painted Blue or Cast Iron SCJ Heads? My engine is only 466 Cubic Inches with Aluminum Ford Motorsport CJ Heads with flat top SRP Pistons and Eagle Stock Length 6.605" H-Beam Rods i'm guessing around 11.5:1 Compression, Solid Roller Herbert Cam .670-.690 Lift 256-266 Duration @.050 Victor 460 Dominator Flange with a QFX FX-4700 1050 2 Circuit Dominator i bought for $650.00 IIRC off of this site, C-4 Full Manual Valve Body also with a Coan 10" Converter and a 8.8" Rear with 3.73 Gears. When i ran the 11.27@122 mph it was with a 1,000 cfm Holley HP Annular HP Carb but seat of the pants says the Dominator made an improvement for sure!! Sorry for rambling on, your car is Very Cool Runs Great and thanks for posting the Awesome Pictures of it!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Finally got to the track Empty fairlane

Post  hbstang August 6th 2024, 2:00 pm

nice car and good street/strip driver.did you mini tub the car?
hbstang
hbstang

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man August 6th 2024, 8:51 pm

It's mini-tubbed to the stock frame and springs are moved inboard of the rails. Heads are aluminium SCJ painted,again to keep things looking like old school factory bits. The used heads are what started the 545 upgrade. I got a great deal on them through a buddy. They were on a 598 race motor,ported professionally and I figured a 460 was too small to take advantage of them. I'm sure they're overkill for what I'm doing anyway. A roller cam/lifters would have been nice but unfortunately was not in my budget. I'm carbs to pan on this under 10 grand (Canadian) after selling the original 460,salvaging a few items from it and shopping the used market for most of the rest of the outer parts. Mark at Vigilante supplied the stroker kit and it was perfect out of the boxes,fell right in. Scott at Cam Research for the SFT cam/lifters/springs/retainers/keepers,also speced bang on and went in with no fuss. Scorpion rockers needed a bit of push rod clearancing but otherwise were fine and I had to modify the vintage dinky M/T valve covers to clear the springs/rockers. AFR is high 13's,low 14's at 2800rpm/60mph,17inch vacuum and averages about 12mpg,city is a tad worse. Big cubes,dual quads chug fuel,hwy and city. LS guys scoff at it and turn their nose up but they have ugly engines with no personality so who cares.

Last edited by the tree man on August 6th 2024, 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
the tree man
the tree man

Mark Miller and BBFTorino like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller August 6th 2024, 10:58 pm

the tree man wrote:It's mini-tubbed to the stock frame and springs are moved inboard of the rails. Heads are aluminium SCJ painted,again to keep things looking like old school factory bits. The used heads are what started the 545 upgrade. I got a great deal on them through a buddy. They were on a 598 race motor,ported professionally and I figured a 460 was too small to take advantage of them. I'm sure they're overkill for what I'm doing anyway. A roller cam/lifters would have been nice but unfortunately was not in my budget. I'm carbs to pan on this under 10 grand (Canadian) after selling the original 460,salvaging a few items from it and shopping the used market for most of the rest of the outer parts. Mark at Vigilante supplied the stroker kit and it was perfect out of the boxes,fell right in. Scott at Cam Research for the SFT cam/lifters/springs/retainers/keepers,also speced bang on and went in with no fuss. Scorpion rockers needed a bit of push rod clearancing but otherwise were fine and I had to modify the vintage dinky M/T valve covers to clear the springs/rockers. AFR is high 13's,low 14's at 2800rpm/60mph,17inch vacuum and averages about 12mpg,city is a tad worse. Big cubes,dual quads chug fuel,hwy and city. LS guys scoff at it and turn their nose up but they have ugly engines with no personality so who cares.

I agree about the LS guys!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  351crules August 7th 2024, 1:07 am

great looking car..i'll be putting a 460 based engine in my 64 Fairlane 2dr ht. it's a 4 sp k code car that is to far gone to restore but perfect tub and put a strut front end on..

351crules

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man August 7th 2024, 9:42 pm

Strut or Mustang II is the way to. As much as I love the "bag of snakes" look of the crossover headers underneath,wrenching is deplorable with those damn shock towers in the way. The engineer behind those things needs a shovel to the cabbage. Too bad your K code is so rough. A real K code would be fun but with a new stroker/roller small block that looks OE and has 450hp or more. Shock towers aren't bad with the 289 size. Good luck. Finally got to the track 20180510
the tree man
the tree man

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man September 3rd 2024, 12:07 am

Well...my second nostalgia drags didn't go as well as the first but was still a lot of fun. I changed nothing and was hoping to repeat or better the previous outing but the start line was a bit sketchy. Lots of small tire guys having trouble getting out of the hole so plenty of spinning going on. MPH was a bit better at 126,maybe because it was cooler,but ET's were in the low 11's and 60ft's sucked too. Once the tires caught up it pulled really well. I even tried a 2nd gear launch on my last run and it helped tame blowing the tire off and ran almost the same MPH/ET. The torque in these big strokers is great.
the tree man
the tree man

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down