BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Block filler

4 posters

Go down

Block filler Empty Block filler

Post  mitch huested September 6th 2024, 4:09 pm

Hey Everyone,
I keep seeing everyone talking about filling their blocks to the water pump holes, and I understand the reasoning behind this, BUT my thinking is that it is more important to fill EVENLY around the cylinders. Example: turning one side of engine deck vertically and filling evenly from the water jacket holes, letting it set up, then repeat for opposite bank(I hope i'm describing this well enough). This would ensure that the lower(or outer ) side of each cylinder doesn't have a difference in temperature to its upper(or inner ) side. Am I making sense to anyone? Just asking....Filled my block this way, to about 2 inches below the deck.

mitch huested

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Block filler Empty Re: Block filler

Post  dfree383 September 6th 2024, 6:39 pm

That’s what filling to the water pump holes does….. you fill up the block with the deck leve untill the level reaches the water pump holes.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 6th 2024, 7:12 pm

mitch huested wrote:Hey Everyone,
I keep seeing everyone talking about filling their blocks to the water pump holes...BUT my thinking is that it is more important to fill EVENLY around the cylinders. Example: turning one side of engine deck vertically and filling evenly from the water jacket holes, letting it set up, then repeat for opposite bank(I hope i'm describing this well enough)...Am I making sense to anyone? Just asking....Filled my block this way, to about 2 inches below the deck.
Yes that's typically how it's done--rotate the block on the stand until one of the decks is straight up.  Clean thoroughly the area that will get filled and be sure to use a level on the deck surface (both parallel to the bank and perpendicular) to assure the fill will surround the cylinders as you describe.

As of late I've been using RokBlock engine block filler (Competition Products).  It's very easy to use, just follow the instructions exactly.  I usually start with refrigerated water, and as the filler begins to set up in the block I've recorded it getting as high as 115* F on my infrared gun.  It helps immensely to have someone assisting you with the prep and pour, especially the first time.

Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Gregaust and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 7th 2024, 10:29 am

I keep seeing everyone talking about filling their blocks to the water pump holes, and I understand the reasoning behind this, BUT my thinking is that it is more important to fill EVENLY around the cylinders. Example: turning one side of engine deck vertically and filling evenly from the water jacket holes, letting it set up, then repeat for opposite bank(I hope i'm describing this well enough). This would ensure that the lower(or outer ) side of each cylinder doesn't have a difference in temperature to its upper(or inner ) side. Am I making sense to anyone? Just asking....Filled my block this way, to about 2 inches below the deck.

YES ... having some kind of mild vibration when the fill is setting-up will purge all the air out of the filler.
I just put a "woofer" speaker from a radio on top the deck.

For many years I have used 885 metallic, aggregate grout, (used to be Embico but, now from BASF), for fill. It works great but, a 40 lb.bag will fill about 4 to 5 blocks so, probably not a good deal for someone just wanting 1 block filled.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 7th 2024, 11:50 am

rmcomprandy wrote:

YES ... having some kind of mild vibration when the fill is setting-up will purge all the air out of the filler.

For many years I have used 885 metallic, aggregate grout, (used to be Embico but, now from BASF), for fill. It works great but, a 40 lb.bag will fill about 4 to 5 blocks so, probably not a good deal for someone just wanting 1 block filled.

Got to watch using the Embeco antifreeze will attack it, needs sealed
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 8th 2024, 1:58 pm

dfree383 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Got to watch using the Embeco antifreeze will attack it, needs sealed

Not any of the blocks I have filled over the past 50 some years ... the mix needs to be correct.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down