BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stocker 9" center gave up

3 posters

Go down

Stocker 9" center gave up Empty Stocker 9" center gave up

Post  4thHorseman April 16th 2010, 11:58 am

Last time out 2 weeks ago I was cutting high 1.4 60' footbraking it and ripping off uncorrected 10.30's @ 132mph. Now this is at our mile high track with an NHRA correction of -.7 and +12mph. I was crossing the line at 5600rpm motor, 6500rpm 175hp nos.

I decided I wanted to expierament with a bit more gear and possibly knock down the nos shot it I ran a 10 flat because the car isn't cert'ed. 10 flat up here is as fast as I intend to go anyhow. In the gear swap process I decided to stud my stock center section for added strength.

Well, I'm too late. I had a ton of cap walk going on back there and a small piece of the case's cap mounting surface had even broken away from under one cap and was floating around in the gear oil in the bottom of my housing. Luckily nothing else happened. The angel on my shoulder must have been pushing her paper work thru because I think if I ran on it again something might have gave with spectacular starting line destruction.

Just ordered up a nodular case with beefy caps and 5/8 bolts as a replacement.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Stocker 9" center gave up Empty Re: Stocker 9" center gave up

Post  the1969fordguyinky April 21st 2010, 10:20 am

What gear were you running? Sounds like that thing moves pretty good!
the1969fordguyinky
the1969fordguyinky

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman April 21st 2010, 6:34 pm

I was running 3.89's.

The car works well with them but the rpm seems a bit low in the traps and you can hear it on the video. I believe they would be best at a normal altitude track. But up here, I learned many guys tend to gear their cars down a bit, especially if they are heavier like my brick, to get them moving in the thin air. I have 4.30's to try. I had tried them before and the car slowed down but I believe it was due to tired ET Streets and poor track prep. Not a fair comparison. Albuquerque Nat. Dragway finally got a track prep machine and wow what a difference. Easier to tune too when the car is leaving consistently. So I'm going to re-give them a try. If the car slows up, no biggie, I'll just swap them back.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 22nd 2010, 9:30 am

Video? What video? Shocked
If a guy's got vids, they "must" be posted. Wink I think you'll like the 4.30's. That seems to be a very good all around gear with these BBF powered big cars.
I've been contemplating trying some 4.30's as well, but last year, I went from 4.56's to 4.88's in my truck, and it picked up.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman April 22nd 2010, 7:11 pm

Here's a pass from the end of last year to show what I mean. This was my first 10.3 pass. It spun a bit out of the hole. That has since been solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_5zWG-mOeU
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down