BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trac-loc question

3 posters

Go down

trac-loc question Empty trac-loc question

Post  dutchie July 10th 2010, 5:45 am

Hello,

i've rebuilt my 9" ford rearand, and put a trac-loc in it with a 3.25 gearing.

Now, i test drove the car, and the trac-loc makes all kinds of noises. (when NOT going in a straight line, so when cornering)
To describe them, i'd say they sound like disk-brakes when braking with worn-out pads: metal-to-metal, so to say.

Also, there is a bit rotational play in the right axle. You can turn the wheel a bit front to rear and rear to front, before it takes the other wheel with it.

I only tested it with town cruise speeds, no highway yet.

When cornering slowly, as sayd, i hear the noises.
When i drive backwards (to park the car) it "clunks".
It does this also when i make a "S" turn, so from left to right, and then directly from right to left, for instance on a roundabout.

Does these sounds and descriptions sound familiar, or did i do something wrong with the build?
Is it possible that these sounds are from the clutches, needing to run-in?
I used a standard gear oil.
i bought the centersection with the trac-loc as it is now, being new. (there were some styropur packaging balls in the gears, and marking dye on the tooth, so i can safely say that it is a new one.)

i go on a long trip in about 5 days from now, so i need to know if it's allright.

Any help highly appreciated, thank you.

edit:

I poured the neat little bottle of skunk smelly friction modifier (CM-19546-A1, the green stuff...)
I don't know what little gozmo's and wizard's of Oz created the friction modifier, but after 100 feet no clunk or scatter anymore...
I made a small testdrive of a few miles at various speeds and bends: As smooth as a baby's butt...
I'm stunned..

dutchie

Back to top Go down

trac-loc question Empty Re: trac-loc question

Post  badshoe July 10th 2010, 7:52 am

As you found out, you have to put the friction mod. in even if the fluid your using says it already has it. Any Ford type traction-lok, use a bottle of modifier.

badshoe

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 10th 2010, 10:34 am

That was an easy fix!! Glad you have it figured out.

Do you have any pictures of your car??

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  dutchie July 10th 2010, 10:46 am

not a real recent one.
Here's a good image that gives an idea.
I also have pics of the 230 volts mains inside, dvd player, cd-changer, amp, navigation, roofmount display, battery isolator, second battery, refrigerator in the back, and so on, but for now you'll have to use your imagination Smile
For us, its THE ultimate vacation car with all luxury on board.
The stainless steel rack on the trunk lid is made to carry a roofbox for additional vacation stuff... Very Happy Very Happy

trac-loc question Witte

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

trac-loc question Rekwitte

dutchie

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 10th 2010, 11:08 am

Very nice!! I love the big Lincolns. The car appears to be in very good condition.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  dutchie July 10th 2010, 11:39 am

billandlori wrote:Very nice!! I love the big Lincolns. The car appears to be in very good condition.

Bill

yes, it sure well might be!
Besides the frame and sheetmetal, and chairs, i replaced almost everything Smile

outside paint is good, not excellent. Due the local weather over here, there are some minuscule rust starting spots that i have to adress again after summer.
Furtheron, the landau roof i replaced last year, as the inside roof also (headliner is it, if i recall?)

I just love to upgrade the car Smile

I also own a lincoln MK-VI, in real excellent shape (pucci edition) and another beige town car like the white one.
The gold colored towncar i owned (also a '79, like the white one) was stolen in march...

For this white one there's an upgrade awaiting: A fresh rebuilt 460 with an fresh rebuilt E4OD transmission. (yes, electronic Smile )
There will be LPG injection added with a Motec M800 CPU i bought last month.
It should make quite some horses, which is very nice in a luxury titanic like this Smile I really looooove the "sleeper" effect
So, enough to think about Smile

Thanks for showing interest. it's actually nice to hear, especially on a performance oriented forum like this one. Very Happy Very Happy

ps. the 9" rearend i have installed, i had powdercoated glossy black, as well as the traction arms and all other little stuff.
i installed it yesterday, so i still have to make some pictures of it.
Also put new brake shoes, bearings, spings, and all other little stuff in it. (not that the old ones didn't work, but hey, new axle and housing, new little parts, right?)

dutchie

Back to top Go down

Post  dutchie July 10th 2010, 11:51 am

Sssssht. Don't say it's mine...
It looks horrible, but it's just to and from vacation. Only 3 weeks... Laughing

trac-loc question Wittetopbox

trac-loc question Wittetopbox2

dutchie

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 11th 2010, 4:23 am

Very nice!! Yes, it's called a headliner. It sounds like you have done quite a lot of work to it.

I recently sold our 1979 Town Car, it was sad to see it go. It had the really rare 1/2 glass roof, not a sun roof.

The 460 should get the big car moving much better than the old 400!!

Nice detail work there!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down