BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro Comp Motorsports

+18
whitefield
56Tbird
95lightiningguy
cool40
Curt
'65 T-BOLT
TravisRice
rmcomprandy
Gregaust
dfree383
schmitty
Darrin Gorham
the Coug
c.evans
maverick
Nevs
richter69
Tennessee Bullitt
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pro Comp Motorsports - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro Comp Motorsports

Post  95lightiningguy March 6th 2011, 3:37 am

The local tech school has a dyno and a couple of local racers are the instructors. They talked procomp into "donating" some heads for a bbc and a sbc, I laughed when they said that they were gonna put them on their racing engines. I still dont think they got it. Rolling Eyes I've heard the sbc heads are pretty decent but havent heard anything but bad about everything else.
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice March 6th 2011, 7:39 am

I'm not so sure that the chevy design is a bad one. I have seen a lot of them on engines at the track. Those guys seem to like them also. Only thing that I can't understand is if the design is good for them and the heads actually work then how are they keeping the quality control issues to a minimum on the chevy stuff? Seems thats one of the major bitches about the ford products, be it a belt drive or a cylinder head.

The Ford Motorsports Tiawan valve covers , I had a set and thought the same thing.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 March 6th 2011, 10:33 pm

TravisRice wrote:I'm not so sure that the chevy design is a bad one. I have seen a lot of them on engines at the track. Those guys seem to like them also. Only thing that I can't understand is if the design is good for them and the heads actually work then how are they keeping the quality control issues to a minimum on the chevy stuff? Seems thats one of the major bitches about the ford products, be it a belt drive or a cylinder head.

The Ford Motorsports Tiawan valve covers , I had a set and thought the same thing.

Travis
most chevy folks dont know junk when they see it Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 6th 2011, 11:05 pm

TravisRice wrote:I'm not so sure that the chevy design is a bad one. I have seen a lot of them on engines at the track. Those guys seem to like them also. Only thing that I can't understand is if the design is good for them and the heads actually work then how are they keeping the quality control issues to a minimum on the chevy stuff? Seems thats one of the major bitches about the ford products, be it a belt drive or a cylinder head.

Travis

If you buy the bare castings, (any brand but, some are better than others), then you can do whatever you wish to do with whatever parts and what grinding you do or don't do.
They are a good casting for the head modifier; some simply aren't in the "race head" category.

The outside is not necessarily indicative of what is on the inside.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice March 6th 2011, 11:33 pm

I agree with you Randy for the most part. I can't get by the foriegn casting for this old boy. Kinda be like me buy buying a Nissan to tow my race car with.............just aint gonna happen. Everything has it's place though, and I am sure they can be made to work on the right application.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird March 7th 2011, 12:26 am

I've been very happy with my belt drive and water pump...They may take a shit tomorrow ,but with my luck lately ...anything would have trouble holding up!! king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 7th 2011, 8:17 am

Travis

Its not hard to beat a 1963-67 "Camel Hump Fuelie Head".............The Stuff Most of those "Cheap Low Rent Chevy Guys" Think are the Holy Grail....... Laughing
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 7th 2011, 12:07 pm

dfree383 wrote:

Travis

Its not hard to beat a 1963-67 "Camel Hump Fuelie Head".............The Stuff Most of those "Cheap Low Rent Chevy Guys" Think are the Holy Grail....... Laughing

The small block Ford "nuts" have their version too, Dave.
I can't even guess as to the number of people who tell me the 351W casting D0OE head is the best thing going in cast iron for the cash outlay. It's gotten to the point where I don't even dispute it anymore; just smile.
As you know, even the later "Explorer" head is superior.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 7th 2011, 12:30 pm

There are a lot of people that spew how good the stuff from the muscle car era is and give no credence to the new stuff because it didn't come from the "performance" era. There is a mopar guy here that was told that any mopar hemi head engine will make over 1000hp. Once stated it has to be fact? Right? Suspect
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield March 7th 2011, 12:45 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

Travis

I can't even guess as to the number of people who tell me the 351W casting D0OE head is the best thing going in cast iron for the cash outlay. It's gotten to the point where I don't even dispute it anymore; just smile.

Depends on who is doing the port work and valve job on the DOOE heads ! The cast Iron small block Ford heads that make good power for the cash out lay would be GT40, GT40P, DOOE, and E7TE These all run a close race on the flow bench and dyno!
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 7th 2011, 1:00 pm

I will now "rest my case" ... (smile).

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 7th 2011, 2:17 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:I will now "rest my case" ... (smile).

Laughing Laughing Laughing
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  hillbillyerv March 7th 2011, 3:17 pm

Very Happy im just glad i found this site and another to keep me from putting the junk in and on my engine! i cant afford to many mistakes Laughing Sad
hillbillyerv
hillbillyerv
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper March 14th 2011, 12:04 am

whitefield wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

Travis

Depends on who is doing the port work and valve job on the DOOE heads ! The cast Iron small block Ford heads that make good power for the cash out lay would be GT40, GT40P, DOOE, and E7TE These all run a close race on the flow bench and dyno!

pretty sure the N or TFS high port, or any of the world products stuff will mop the floor with any/all of those heads.
or cleveland or aussie cleveland stuff for that matter too.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 14th 2011, 9:38 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
maverick wrote:
Nevs wrote:They must be making money, they sponsor a top fuel car now!

I wonder how many of their parts are in it. Suspect Rolling Eyes

I looked it over quite well and that EMC entry had a lot of their own parts:
1. ProComp block
2. ProComp CNC'd heads, studs, guideplates and stud girdles.
3. Pro Comp rocker arms
4. Pro Comp valve springs
5. Pro Comp head studs
5. ProComp intake manifold
6. ProComp crankshaft
7. ProComp H-beam rods
8. ProComp dampner
9. Pro Comp timing chain set
10. ProComp crank trigger
11. Pro Comp distributor
12. ProComp Ignition
13. Pro Comp coil
14. Pro Comp Fabricated valve covers
15. Pro Comp water pump

Now, I have no idea how many times they were required to replace these parts to end-up with good ones however, they were ALL there on that entry.
And, it did OK considering Brian had little idea of what was needed to be done and I personally respect his attempt.

WHEN are you gonna have an entry "maverick" ... ? It's easy to throw stones when you have little idea what is involved.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Randy...I was ABSOLUTELY referring to their fuel car when I made that post. I, too respect the efforts of the EMC entrants. I think it takes pretty big stones to put your skills and reputation out there for everyone to see.

On the other note, my "entry" won't be an EMC deal, but my car will debut pretty soon. The car isn't widely discussed on this site, and only a few have seen it in any real detail. Knowing your appreciation for innovation, I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

I've always regarded your opinion on this stuff highly, as it's obvious you're at the top of your craft. No change there.

Cheers to you. Smiley out.

Edit: Fixed the original post. Wink

Last edited by maverick on March 14th 2011, 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH March 14th 2011, 9:50 am

info missing is the cost per HP/TQ on the Pro Comp engine .

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 14th 2011, 10:05 am

This statement has been said many times and I truly believe it. ProComp parts used in the right application are ok. IMO,they are geared more for dressup of your engine bay. Dan's belt drive is a nice piece that seems too be ok and at half the price of other brands.I bought a dizzy from Randy Malik for my neighbor's street rod and he loves it. I've never owned anything w/procomp logo,but if a situation came up and I thought the piece would work ok,I won't hesitate too buy it. Remember this (Most of the people bashing the product have never owned one of their parts). Just my opinion and everyone has one. Peace brothers Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield March 14th 2011, 10:35 am

Diggindeeper wrote:
whitefield wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

Travis

pretty sure the N or TFS high port, or any of the world products stuff will mop the floor with any/all of those heads.
or cleveland or aussie cleveland stuff for that matter too.
Not what I was trying to say! These heads are good for what they are period. The after market heads are far better than these heads. I also did not compare or say these heads were the best out there or beter than the aftermkt heads. I just said for the cash out lay these heads do a good job for what they are. You can still get 350 to 400 hp out of them 0n a 289 or 302 ( 5.0) . These heads would Be on a budget build if you didn't have the money to buy aftermarket heads, a stroker kit ,or even a big block .
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH March 14th 2011, 10:59 am

Whitefield , Pro Comps are also after market heads

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield March 14th 2011, 11:21 am

DanH wrote:Whitefield , Pro Comps are also after market heads
DanH ,Still not what I was saying! I never commented on the Pro comp heads and I do realize thay are aftermarket and junk as well Just my honest opinion! I was only talking about the Ford castings that I listed in my first post on this thread.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2