BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E4OD 429 quandary

4 posters

Go down

E4OD 429 quandary Empty E4OD 429 quandary

Post  strongweapon March 1st 2013, 10:51 am

I hate to ask but I have a problem no one has an answer for.

I have an old 429 offset ground to 2.2 rod journals 7.1 rods icon forged pistons, total seal stainless rings, rollerbearing cam bearings, solid roller cam, D0VE heads hogged for oversize valves, dual carbs, yadda, yadda

to handle the torque and save fuel i ordered a built E4OD and bauman controller.

i went to mate them together and found out the torque converter will not go all the way into the old 429 crank. i have searched far and wide and only come up with measurements for diameter. 1.848 for old crank pilot od 1.25 id and 1.375 for the newer style 460 crank that came with the E4OD

i know i can pull and disassemble my block and have the crank drilled.i have been through 4 engines in this car in a year and had this one apart twice now cuz the machine shop forgot to deck the block and my MLS Cometics wouldnt seal and again because a small piece of unknown metal was sucked into a cylinder during the initial start up post head gasket ordeal. i am tired of pulling, disassembling, reassembling and fixing other peoples work. not to mention hundreds to thousands of dollars in gaskets, fluids, and parts. the engine stays.

so what i need to know is what must be done to get the torque converter to fit the old style crank. i have had the converter in two machine shops and they both seem at a loss. i have called every custom transmission shop online and a couple local. they are all clueless except two. one says it can be done but they dont want the work and the other says they can can do anything i want as they build custom torque converters but they need specs and i dont have them. could someone please tell me what i need done to the torque converter, measurements, anything

thanks

strongweapon

Back to top Go down

E4OD 429 quandary Empty Re: E4OD 429 quandary

Post  ultimatelenny March 2nd 2013, 10:43 am

There are two ways of doing this, one is boring the crank deeper to a 1.848 diameter(as the 1.375 pilot is bottoming out in the crank) and machine up a pilot adapter (1.848OD X 1.375ID) and assemble. The second way would be to redo the converter with a 1.848 pilot, therefore making this converter usable only in this application. Is this a stock converter or an aftermarket piece?
ultimatelenny
ultimatelenny

http://www.ultimateconverter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  strongweapon March 2nd 2013, 4:26 pm

well everyone seems unsure of how to make it fit. the 1.85 pilot were very short and everyone thinks the input shaft will hit the end of the pilot and not let the torque converter go ll the way in. but i dont think the pilot is bottoming out in the crank but it it hitting the sidewalls and stopping as the the old cranks were stepped down i believe from 1.848 to 1.250 on a deeper hole past the bottom of the 1.848 area

strongweapon

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper March 16th 2013, 7:50 pm

Windsor engines also came with e4's behind them. Maybe their pilot is a different size. Something to check possibly
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 March 17th 2013, 11:55 am

Not an answer to your problem but a question/something to check. What flexplate are you using on the 429? all 429's were internally balanced and have no weights on the flexplates, the e40d's came out behind externally balanced 460's which have a weight on the plate and will cause issues if put on the 429.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down