BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Piston damage

2 posters

Go down

Piston damage  Empty Piston damage

Post  Super Snake Steve October 26th 2013, 4:49 pm

While cleaning carbon from top of pistons I notice signs of pre-detonation on 2 pistons little pings mostly at the top so I cleaned them up with scotch bright and smoothed out the nicks with a flap wheel has anyone ever done this. I know why it did it because with the higher compression ratio and bad tune and maybe fuel I always ran 93 leaded but when I get it back running I'm going to mix race fuel and 93 to get 98 octane or do I need a higher octane than that compression ratio is 11:1. Also if you polish combustion chambers will that help with pre-detonation I'd post picture but not sure how with an iphone

Super Snake Steve

Back to top Go down

Piston damage  Empty Re: Piston damage

Post  Dave De October 31st 2013, 6:39 pm

Steve,
It's hard to tell if you're asking anything here but if your compression is 11 then the timing, cam events and weight of the car play an important roll in detonation. If your heads are iron it's probably over .5 to high. If you are running vacuum advance it needs to be turned down to around 6 degrees max. All this assumes that the maximum advance is below 38 degrees.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Snake Steve October 31st 2013, 6:49 pm

Thanks for info I was asking has anyone ever smooth out the dings on top of the piston and put it back to gather and run it I'm polishing the combustion chambers as we Speak I think my compression ratio is 11 to 1 my pistons are trw #L2366 .030 over

Super Snake Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down