BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dove C Head Damage

+2
dfree383
nuclearcobra
6 posters

Go down

Dove C Head Damage  Empty Dove C Head Damage

Post  nuclearcobra March 24th 2018, 8:55 pm

I bought my ported C8 heads with 2.19-1.72 valves back last week for $300 from a buddy after selling them about 5 years ago to someone else , Anyway he threw in a set of ported Dove heads with 2.25 valves (cant remember the exhaust size ) They were repaired before a few years ago and worked good on his 466 then it dropped a valve or maybe a seat on the repaired cylinder I'm not sure which but i wonder if this looks fixable again because last time you guys were right saying they looked fixable when they got hurt the first time so i'm thinking about getting these fixed again if possible just as a spare set along with the C8's

First time damage
Dove C Head Damage  26017318087_2bcf755370_zIMG_3465 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dove C Head Damage  40847677042_ef313e236f_zIMG_3463 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr

New damage now
Dove C Head Damage  26125708677_dbd8229e56_zDove C head Damage 001 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dove C Head Damage  40954983532_01fe29945e_zDove C head Damage 003 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dove C Head Damage  26125708367_28536610df_zDove C head Damage 006 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dove C Head Damage  26125708517_4b0d2d30a5_zDove C head Damage 004 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
Dove C Head Damage  40103597495_52a959d3b2_zDove C head Damage 005 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Dove C Head Damage  Empty Re: Dove C Head Damage

Post  dfree383 March 24th 2018, 9:30 pm

I think they can be fixed again to go a few more rounds
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra March 24th 2018, 10:32 pm

That would be cool unless its outta site price wise i guess , Not sure what he paid last time and it probably wouldn't be close because the machinist was old friends of his dad and he took care of him to get him up and running again.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain March 25th 2018, 9:07 am

I don't think that's as bad as it looks and it can be fixed pretty easily.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra March 25th 2018, 10:05 am

That's good news , I don't really have any plans for them as of right now but its nice to have them sitting and ready , I do have a 460 short block with .040 dish pistons on football rods i guess they are called sitting that i cant remember for the life of me where it came from and thought it would be a good little side project one day. The C8's and these dove heads both ran mid tens with small flat tappet hyd cams in a 466 and 472 and both cars had crummy converters or they would've been even quicker , Mine was my 84 mustang with a tci 11'' and c6 but ran 10.57 and his was a 86 T Bird with a PG he couldn't footbrake over 1500 either and ran 10.60's which he is going to sell now cheap with a 466 and a 472 complete minus heads and carbs , The 466 needs a sleeve if the blocks ok other than that and the 472 has two small nicks at the very bottom edge of a cylinder. Or he's willing to trade for a decent enclosed trailer for his new perty 69 Nova door slammer with a GM 496 and brodix heads.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane March 25th 2018, 12:39 pm

Blend the dings, couple o’ guides, couple o’ seats.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisH March 25th 2018, 8:28 pm

what is the small crack on the second pic of the new damage. its the thing that propagates to the spark plug hole.
if that "crack" grinds out then yeh just a couple seats and guides after you smooth everything out and all is well.

if that is a true crack then it will need drilled and repaired. still not a big deal. just make sure it is welded with 99 nickel or something else that is machineable.
with its proximity to the seat, when the new seat insert is machined in it will have to touch this welded area and the 45/55 NiFe gets hard because of the iron that is in it. this can cause problems for machinist.

hopefully though it simply grinds out and you don't have to worry about it

ChrisH

Back to top Go down

Dove C Head Damage  Empty Anyone ever used 889SP from Certanium or 211 Cronium(sp)?

Post  ED468 April 8th 2018, 2:25 am

I just love welding cast iron with the 889 sp stick rods. These would fix your heads right up and don't have to be a welder by trade. Hardest part is they flow so well you just want to keep laying bead, Have to stop your self or it will get too hot and the metal will move around Rolling Eyes . There expensive but do everything they advertise , couldn't believe they weld at room temp, won't crack and fully machinable. Only time I've come across something thats too good to be true and IS. Welded on several heads successfully.  I just made a ear that broke off that tightens on the collar of the table on a  Free 35 yr. old Chinese Drill press . It was only .100 thick in middle I saw after taking apart and I was able to use 3/16 rods and didn't burn through, I didn't want to waste my smaller rods I've got. By the way we did alot of testing at friends shop yrs. ago and we ground out the weld and couldn't find one porosity hole , or even a clear line from weld to cast and it even does dissimilar metals fine. Did I say its almost impossible to over heat the weld! I believe it's high Nickel alloy. Only heard praise from ones that used it. Can do while motor together lets say ya break off a trans mount ear , welded one and drilled and tapped it a couple yrs. ago that came in missing it. I just would like to see the none welders like me finally have something except Brazing or have to send off to machine shop bare. These are a game changer for the little  gear heads. Welders won't like my Praise much, Just trying to get the word out there, it kills me how so little of people know about them. The $400 for 5 pound price has alot to do with it I suppose, but thats not bad if splitting cost and rods with two friends like I did. Good luck..,ED

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down