BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alternator mount set up with front engine plate

+5
DILLIGASDAVE
ED468
TravisRice
rbro460
jcweis1
9 posters

Go down

alternator mount set up with front engine plate Empty alternator mount set up with front engine plate

Post  jcweis1 September 11th 2018, 11:44 am

Hello all, new to this forum and thanks ahead of time for any help.

1989 Mustang LX coupe 460 / C6 with a one piece front mounting engine plate installed between the block and water pump. The crank pulley has been shimmed out to make up for the added thickness of the plate to align the water pump pulley. The homemade alternator bracket that attaches the 120 amp alternator to the engine plate works but it must be out just enough to throw the belt at high RPM,s.

Using the stock pulleys from a 1976 460 F250. No accessories -one belt drives the alt. to water pump to crank.

Can someone share how they mount the alternator with a similar set up please?

thanks Jeff

jcweis1

Back to top Go down

alternator mount set up with front engine plate Empty Re: alternator mount set up with front engine plate

Post  rbro460 September 11th 2018, 2:19 pm

jcweis1 wrote:Hello all, new to this forum and thanks ahead of time for any help.

1989 Mustang LX coupe 460 / C6 with a one piece front mounting engine plate installed between the block and water pump. The crank pulley has been shimmed out to make up for the added thickness of the plate to align the water pump pulley. The homemade alternator bracket that attaches the 120 amp alternator to the engine plate works but it must be out just enough to throw the belt at high RPM,s.

Using the stock pulleys from a 1976 460 F250. No accessories -one belt drives the  alt. to water pump to crank.

Can someone share how they mount the alternator with a similar set up please?

thanks Jeff

Yes, I too would like to see what people have for alt to plate, as I didn't want a big cut-out with 650hp.
rbro460
rbro460

Back to top Go down

alternator mount set up with front engine plate Empty Re: alternator mount set up with front engine plate

Post  TravisRice September 11th 2018, 4:14 pm

I've used this without a hateful notch. They sell them for 1 wire gm alternators and ford style as well. Low and down out of the way.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/429-460-Ford-Low-Mount-Alternator-Bracket-Billet-Aluminum-Big-Block-BBF-385-/111279968791

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rbro460 September 11th 2018, 4:46 pm

TravisRice wrote:I've used this without a hateful notch. They sell them for 1 wire gm alternators and ford style as well. Low and down out of the way.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/429-460-Ford-Low-Mount-Alternator-Bracket-Billet-Aluminum-Big-Block-BBF-385-/111279968791

Those are nice if your not using a motor plate. Top pic here. And it's a Mezier water pump.alternator mount set up with front engine plate 2016-010
rbro460
rbro460

Back to top Go down

alternator mount set up with front engine plate Empty Alternator mount

Post  ED468 September 11th 2018, 5:09 pm

I've seen them mounted to bottom of engine plate.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 11th 2018, 6:28 pm

jcweis1 wrote:.....Using the stock pulleys from a 1976 460 F250......

I forget, were they using a narrow V-belt setup or a wide serpentine belt setup in 1976?

Also if it's a stock pulley setup (with large crank pulley/small alternator pulley) the pulley sizes & high belt speed at RPM might be part of the problem causing it to pitch the belt. A smaller crank pulley will slow down the belt speed, and a bigger alternator pulley will slow down the alternator speed making it's life easier.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 11th 2018, 7:25 pm

If your using a stock pulley setup, and now your using a motorplate that's mounted 2+ inches from the face of the head, one of them has to be the giver. Plate will have to be notched or pulleys will have to change. It's really not a big deal to notch the motor plate to accommodate an alternator.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 12th 2018, 4:22 am

If you have room between the motorplate & the radiator you can also flip the alternator 180* (ass-end facing forward) and mount the alternator off the frame rail instead since an alternator will charge regardless of the direction you spin it .
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn September 12th 2018, 7:50 am

Here is how I did mine. My plate has a shallow notch at the bottom and I made the bracket from some aluminum bar stock and cut the legs to get it close to alignment then use washers on the alternator pivot point to fine tune it. On the back side I made a bracket (painted black) that runs from the back pivot point to the fuel pump block off plate.

alternator mount set up with front engine plate Filter3

alternator mount set up with front engine plate Filter4
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 12th 2018, 9:48 am

Remember too, that the alternator can face either direction.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  STR-LGL-70 September 12th 2018, 10:42 am

I run the stock (heavy) alt from a 78 lincoln.It's bolted directly to the pass side of the motor plate facing forward and pivots on this bolt with a locknut and washer on the rear of the plate. The slotted adjustment arm I mounted on the front side of the front chassis tab for the lower control arm.The alt is mounted low, probably 2" below the crank centerline. Worked out real good for me because all I needed was the alt and the factory slotted adjustment arm and keeps the belt short.
Sheldon G.
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

Post  jcweis1 September 12th 2018, 11:36 am

Sheldon - can you add a picture please? For some reason if you attached a pic I cannot open it. It sounds like what you have would work best in my situation.

thanks
Jeff

jcweis1

Back to top Go down

Post  STR-LGL-70 September 12th 2018, 12:10 pm

Not sure how to post pics on here but if you want I can text you a pic. I will say that my engine has a lot of setback in the chassis so the A arm tabs worked out good for a mount location. You can probably do the same may need a spacer depending on location or weld a tab to your frame, I think my rails are 28" apart.
Sheldon
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 12th 2018, 1:56 pm

For an all out racecar just running the smallest alternator you can get will help. I'll get pics of mine and post.

I run a mini Denso style 1 wire and it was a breeze to mount. The local starter/alternator shop got it for me for $100 and it is the exact same alternator that East Coast electric sells for two to three times that. It makes enough amps to do the job going down the track...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down