BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Having an engine built.

+4
LivermoreDave
460pulling
schmitty
NastyNotchBack
8 posters

Go down

Having an engine built. Empty Having an engine built.

Post  NastyNotchBack September 20th 2013, 10:29 am

Another dumb question, I'm just looking for a estimate on what the average engine builder charges to build a motor for you. (Not anywhere near this stage yet just curious to the average cost.)

NastyNotchBack

Back to top Go down

Having an engine built. Empty Re: Having an engine built.

Post  schmitty September 20th 2013, 10:47 am

Without a lot more specifics, there is no way to answer that. Is this a conventional head bracket engine, or a 4 digit hp all out deal with lots of add ons like vac pump, crank trigger etc.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  NastyNotchBack September 20th 2013, 10:52 am

Nothing like crazy radical, like a mud bog motor, around 600 cubic inches, 900 hp, with 500 shot of NOS.

NastyNotchBack

Back to top Go down

Having an engine built. Empty alot more info and part list would be helpful

Post  460pulling September 20th 2013, 11:34 am

What rpm? Are you suppling all your own parts or is he supplying the parts? This isnt a average build. 600 ci and a 500 shot isnt just slap it together and hope for the best. I am not trying to shoot your thoughts down but to me that is going to cost a few grand for assembly and dyno. what heads do you plan to use? An aftermarket block is a requirement. 2300-3500 for Iron block. Heads ported can be anywhere from 3000-10000 if it stops at that with porting and titanium valves. Heads in my opinion would need to be 18 bolt if you run A460's. I am unfamiliar with the c heads but I am pretty sure the c and profilers are 18 bolt as well.

I would say anywhere from 1000 to 6000 in assembly and dyno. Plus Machine work and the amount of machine work will vary greatly. bushed lifters/ bigger lifter bores/ bigger cam tunnel/ machining the heads to take atleast a 7/16 pushrod/ the list goes on and on.

JMHO

Jesse

460pulling

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 20th 2013, 11:58 am

For a deal like that, you really need to talk to someone who does these kinds of builds. There is a lot of stuff going on there, and it will be over $20k for sure.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave September 20th 2013, 12:10 pm

NastyNotchBack wrote:Nothing like crazy radical, like a mud bog motor, around 600 cubic inches, 900 hp, with 500 shot of NOS.
You can expect to spend $25K to $35K for the complete build.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  NastyNotchBack September 20th 2013, 6:45 pm

Yes I would be supplying the parts to him, just want him to assemble. Not sure about starting off with nitrous, that might be a later additive. But as far as heads go I plan to run the TFS 18 bolt A460 360 Power Port heads with TFS tunnel an hat set up. The heads and block alone will run me around $6,500. As far as cubic inch like I said before I would like to be around the 600 cubic inch mark but would settle for a 557 if it comes down to money being tight but the plan is a 598. I am gonna probably end up needing a custom cam for big lift around .870 or bigger and custom pistons. This is all the rough goal of what's planned to come. Still young and working towards that money for all this I know it wont be cheap but it'll be worth every penny in the end. Advice is defiantly welcome just I'm a new guy to all this stuff.

NastyNotchBack

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 20th 2013, 7:36 pm

NastyNotchBack wrote:Yes I would be supplying the parts to him, just want him to assemble. Not sure about starting off with nitrous, that might be a later additive. But as far as heads go I plan to run the TFS 18 bolt A460 360 Power Port heads with TFS tunnel an hat set up. The heads and block alone will run me around $6,500. As far as cubic inch like I said before I would like to be around the 600 cubic inch mark but would settle for a 557 if it comes down to money being tight but the plan is a 598. I am gonna probably end up needing a custom cam for big lift around .870 or bigger and custom pistons. This is all the rough goal of what's planned to come. Still young and working towards that money for all this I know it wont be cheap but it'll be worth every penny in the end. Advice is defiantly welcome just I'm a new guy to all this stuff.
You can't simply ASSEMBLE an engine of that magnitude.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 20th 2013, 7:38 pm

NastyNotchBack wrote:Yes I would be supplying the parts to him, just want him to assemble. Not sure about starting off with nitrous, that might be a later additive. But as far as heads go I plan to run the TFS 18 bolt A460 360 Power Port heads with TFS tunnel an hat set up. The heads and block alone will run me around $6,500. As far as cubic inch like I said before I would like to be around the 600 cubic inch mark but would settle for a 557 if it comes down to money being tight but the plan is a 598. I am gonna probably end up needing a custom cam for big lift around .870 or bigger and custom pistons. This is all the rough goal of what's planned to come. Still young and working towards that money for all this I know it wont be cheap but it'll be worth every penny in the end. Advice is defiantly welcome just I'm a new guy to all this stuff.

The informed builders would send the '360' heads out the door they came in.

"Yes I would be supplying the parts to him"....seasoned engine builders aint gonna go for that unless someone that has a good view of what a good package looks like has been diligent.

Reasons:

1] Takes too much labor due to things not being compatable.
2] Makes too little power because of poor choices...reflects poorly on the 'builder'.
3] Blows the hell up due to poor choices...reflects poorly on the 'builder'.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NastyNotchBack September 20th 2013, 8:21 pm

Very understandable, basically if I buy all these different parts from companies and just give it to the builder to throw together and it goes haywire the builder is held accounted for it. Maybe I should just go to the most local engine builder around and see what he recommends.

NastyNotchBack

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 20th 2013, 8:27 pm

Most informed ...rather than most local...i.m.o.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 21st 2013, 8:57 am

X2 on what Lem said. If I were you I would find the reputable BBF BUILDER and one that is familiar w/building BIG bbf power and discuss w/him what you are doing and wanting. Don't go to a builder that is not familiar w/BBF's.The engine builders on this site would be my choice because they are always here to address any issues that might arise later.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH September 21st 2013, 9:29 am

NastyNotchBack wrote:Very understandable, basically if I buy all these different parts from companies and just give it to the builder to throw together and it goes haywire the builder is held accounted for it. Maybe I should just go to the most local engine builder around and see what he recommends.
"the builder is held accountable" . accountablity ends when it leave his door .
like you said you got a lot to learn..

btw , I'll warrenty it for you for 1 years , only cost you $300,000,000

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down