BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graphite based coating dry lubricant?

4 posters

Go down

Graphite based coating dry lubricant? Empty Graphite based coating dry lubricant?

Post  bigjohn2007 March 24th 2013, 12:06 pm

went with a buddy yesturday to a engine shop and as i was looking around a engine caught my eye the lifter valley looked great and the block was just sitting with nothing covering it i said how u get that to look that good and not rust and he said i have my blocks burned and use graphite in a spray can in lifter valley and bottom of block it will stay that way with no rust and want hurt the engine when it built so before i do this i would like some opinions thanks.
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Graphite based coating dry lubricant? Empty Re: Graphite based coating dry lubricant?

Post  ThndrChkn March 24th 2013, 12:53 pm

It does work very good, but I still put a bag over my blocks to keep the dust from settling on/in them...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Graphite based coating dry lubricant? Empty Re: Graphite based coating dry lubricant?

Post  DFI429 March 24th 2013, 2:23 pm

Spray graphite kinda works for corrosion control.. but it WILL rust in time. I'd be more worried about the bores/lifter bores/mains though. We use that stuff in various forms (spray, dip, brush) at work. For long term storage there's also soft-film corrosion preventative compound (spray) - it's like a spray wax that can be cleaned off rather quickly with a hot pressure wash. Use that too at work for equipment.
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 24th 2013, 4:07 pm

i will be putting something over my engine to but i also like the look it make to the lifter valley as long as it want hurt when i put it together.
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 March 24th 2013, 4:17 pm

Just don't get any in the lifter bores.. Even though it's a 'lube', it will take up clearances quick and cause sticking/galling.
DFI429
DFI429

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 24th 2013, 4:24 pm

that what i was thinking what u use to clean your lifter bores before installing the lifters would those brushs for summit that u can put on a drill work fine?
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 24th 2013, 7:04 pm

ThndrChkn wrote:It does work very good, but I still put a bag over my blocks to keep the dust from settling on/in them...

Me too. I sprayed my fresh .080 block w/wd-40 and trash bagged it w/breathing holes in the bottom 4 yrs ago.Checked it a few weeks ago to show a friend the block mods and the bores and lifter galley looked great.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 March 24th 2013, 7:05 pm

bigjohn2007 wrote:that what i was thinking what u use to clean your lifter bores before installing the lifters would those brushs for summit that u can put on a drill work fine?

If you're talking about cleaning up the graphite, acetone or alcohol kinda works for what we use (it's tough stuff). Beside that, for the lifter bores I would want to stay as non-abrasive as possible.. dissolve what you can, and beyond that you're getting into taking away material (machining).
DFI429
DFI429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down